macro lens question

mkedre

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I haven't been on the forum in quite a while but I'm back. =) I have a Canon AE-1...can anyone recommend a macro lens? I've never bought one and I'm not sure what to look for. I would like to use it for shooting close-ups of flowers mostly. I don't mind buying used, I bought my camera on e-bay. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My first macro lens was a Vivitar 100 3.5 lens. It did 1:2 by itself and 1:1 with the included diopter. New they cost ~$100. Sigma and Tamron make decent macro lenses that cost less than Canon.

You have other options if you want to get into macro. One is to get close-up lenses that fit your existing lenses. You can get extension tubes but you will lose light with these. Or you can get a bellows attachment that goes between the body of your camera and the lens. Again, you lose light depending on how far the lens is from the body.

Thanks. I was looking online at some Sigma macro lenses and was hoping someone could clear up some information for me. This is what it says about the 50mm f/2.8 EX Macro 1:1 lens: "It features a non-rotating front lens group which makes it easier to work with polarizing filters and has a focus limiter (eg. Full Range; - 9.8 in.; 9.1 in. - 7.4 in.)." What exactly does this mean and what do these full range numbers mean? Has anyone had this lens or the 105mm Sigma EX Macro? Any info would help. =)

Some lenses (most commonly zooms) have a front element that rotates as you zoom and/or focus it. This makes it difficult to use a polarizer because as you zoom the polarizer rotates with the front element necessitating constant adjustment of the polarizer for maximum effect.

The focus limiter has two settings- full range, which goes from 9.8 inches to infinity. The limited range goes from the minimum focus distance (7.4 inches) to 9.1 inches. If the subject isn't within those two distances they will no tbe in focus. This allows for very rapid focus in autofocus at macro distances.

Most reactions

Back