Macro Lens Suggestion

Dao said:
Base on the information I read, extension tube will degrade image quality as well. It is because the lens is designed optimally to cast the image to the recording medium when mount directly on the camera body. When a extension tube is introduced, then the lens is not at the optimal design anymore.

Negative. There's no glass in the extension tubes. I've taken many hundreds (if not thousands) of macro images using extension tubes and I guarantee that you or anyone else could not tell the difference in the images used with or without the tubes. Now, the Canon 500D, arguably the best close up filter, does effect IQ. That's why I rarely use it anymore.

I think the Raynox loses less light than extension tubes, however because it is extra glass it will degrade quality in some matter whereas extension tubes will not.
You can get good results with both though.

Base on the information I read, extension tube will degrade image quality as well. It is because the lens is designed optimally to cast the image to the recording medium when mount directly on the camera body. When a extension tube is introduced, then the lens is not at the optimal design anymore.

Hm, that does make some sense actually.
Interesting question is: Does it degrade as much as extra glass will? ^^

The Raynox 150 with the 55-200 works better than one would expect. I shoot with the 55-200 a lot. I keep the Raynox in my pocket and just snap it on when I need it. Very convenient and the IQ is much better than I expected with a zoom and a closeup lens.
That may be a way to go. I was messing around with some uncomfortably close shots with my very tolerant dog last night with the 18-55 and think being able to use something with the 55-200 would make it much easier (especially with less tolerant or wild creatures)

Dao said:

Negative. There's no glass in the extension tubes. I've taken many hundreds (if not thousands) of macro images using extension tubes and I guarantee that you or anyone else could not tell the difference in the images used with or without the tubes. Now, the Canon 500D, arguably the best close up filter, does effect IQ. That's why I rarely use it anymore.

Again, I do not have extension tube nor a multiple element diopter to test. This is just what I read from the net including article form Bob Atkin. People seems to like high quality diopter then extension tube.

Here is a test result perform from someone between extension tube and closes up lens. Macro Comparison

Based on what I read, if I am going to choose between extension tube and high quality close up lens (diopter), I will take the close up lens.

Well, I have used the extension tubes on a Nikon 70-300 VR with no degrading of quality. I see what the guy is pointing to on a few photos, but I'm speaking from experience far exceeding just a few test images.

Well, I have used the extension tubes on a Nikon 70-300 VR with no degrading of quality. I see what the guy is pointing to on a few photos, but I'm speaking from experience far exceeding just a few test images.

I am not saying you are wrong. What you see is what you believe. My findings are just based on what I read, not by experience. But the time when I read those article, they seems to be reasonably correct. They even said something like "Bellow effect" <not 100% if this is the right terms> on extension tube which I do not know too much. I guess time for me to read more just for my information.

One thing maybe possible is, if you are using extension tube for center sharpness only, you may not see too much difference. i.e. sharp insect image in the center of the frame which the border / background is blur. If you are reproducing a image of a stamp, you may see the difference.

Most reactions

Back