Macro lens vs p&s camera for macro shots

My Nikon P7100 in closeup scene mode does pretty darn good, maybe better, generally speaking. I have a Nikon AF60mm f2.8D has better magnification or at least it is on the copy projects I am finishing up. I can't show you any pics from the 60 because I agreed not to show any, both are for auctions / estate sales. I would rather have a longer lens for regular use because this one (AF 60D) blocks light thus the reason I say my P&S is generally better. The problem with some of these flickr photo's is that you may not know if an extension tube(s) were used so hopefully someone can chime in with examples.

Here is a link for pics on the P7100
P7100 Macro Shots: Nikon Coolpix Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

And one for the AF 60D
AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My Olympus C5060WZ also had a great macro mode but.. I think any macro lens on any dSLR (not 10 years old obviously) would do better then most P&S.

In all fairness a lot of those linked-to macro photos are head-shots and most macro lenses couldn't do those kinds of shots anyway - at least not without either cropping or use of modifiers such as close up lens attachments, extension tubes or teleconverters.

The main draw of a point and shoot is that it will give you a generally greater depth of field than a macro lens on a crop sensor camera or even fullframe camera will. The downside is that point and shoots can have much smaller working distances (distance from front of lens to subject); a limited range of flash accessories/options; reduced overall image quality compared to DSLR (that doesn't mean "bad" just not "as good")

It's one area where a point and shoot can do very well; and many adaptors like close up lens attachments (eg the Raynox brand) can do well on a point and shoot to give you even more magnification.

I can't get more specific than that as I've only really done macro with a DSRL. Certainly if you're tight on budget you can use a point and shoot, however in time you might want to move toward a DSLR.

Hm yeah, my Oly focused at 1.6cm if I'm not mistaken, more or less 1/2".

I have had some brilliant results with a macro lens for my phone:
2S_FINAL.jpg
bk1.jpg
broc1.jpg

My P7800 isn't half bad. PLUS, it has Nikon's CLS (Creative Lighting System) and supports flash. Even OCF, etc. This was done with 3 flashes.

The biggest thing is the P&S is light hungry. You need good light to keep shutter speeds up in relation to moving objects. But on a tripod with remote release you can let it do what it wants. This camera seems to like 1/60 a lot if you let it choose.

20151122_coininventory-2 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr
20151122_coininventory-1 by Steve Sklar, on Flickr

i got a set of auto focus extension tubes, auto focus does not work that well depending on how many tubes you have on there so i manual focus instead, came with 3 tubes and you can use one, two or 3 at the same time. with all 3 i can actually get the lens against the subject and take the closest photos i have ever seen. of course there dark as crap at that point since the lens is blocking out most of the light but our bird has a perch that has little tiny grainy things all over it for them to get grip when they are on it. when i put the lens with 3 extension tubes up to that it looked like a very dark picture of a gravel drive way, those little tiny grippy grain things looked like descent size rocks it magnified them so much..

My Olympus C5060WZ also had a great macro mode but.. I think any macro lens on any dSLR (not 10 years old obviously) would do better then most P&S.
not the P7100 photo's... I did mention similar on 60mm lens.

I have the 100 mm Canon zoom with fuzzy logic that also does 100 mm 1:1 macro with the lens Mount led macro flash MT 24EX that can be used as primary or slave with the 600 ex radio or infrared flashes and get awesome Ice Crystal formations and such ( My absolute favorite subject to shoot for fun is active flowing water mixed with ice dune stuff up close and personal with gels coloring the multi 600ex and the macros on straight white,you can create some really spectacular stuff especially with custom white balance ( I have five selectable in the infrared range plus "normal") I also had my main sensor replaced with the Astral sensor and anti-aliasing removed by Litepixel.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I have the 100 mm Canon zoom with fuzzy logic that also does 100 mm 1:1 macro with the lens Mount led macro flash MT 24EX that can be used as primary or slave with the 600 ex radio or infrared flashes and get awesome Ice Crystal formations and such ( My absolute favorite subject to shoot for fun is active flowing water mixed with ice dune stuff up close and personal with gels coloring the multi 600ex and the macros on straight white,you can create some really spectacular stuff especially with custom white balance ( I have five selectable in the infrared range plus "normal") I also had my main sensor replaced with the Astral sensor and anti-aliasing removed by Litepixel.

Go on then, post some examples.
Here is one I took with my phone of a ballpoint in a ballpoint pen. You can see the ink and the reflection of the paper its sitting on and below a pic of the setup:
ballpoint1.jpg
ballpoint2.jpg

I may at some point post some stuff, I tend not to because frequently my stuff is job related currently, I am an active press shooter and I am also certified in Forensic evidence preservation so alot of stuff is very boring car wrecks , burn patterns, pour patterns and gotta love those bullet holes in everything under the sun, hopefully if this winter does turn cold and the water freezes I will have some free time to play with my Ice dunes, I used to shoot the ice on a particular hydro electric damn that was far off the beaten path unfortunately my geographic area has changed and my said favourite spot is now 15 + hours away, however I am now living just off one of the great lakes,so on one hand I lose my favorite spot but gained many beaches of ice dunes to frolic with.

As to your pen shot I really enjoyed that, it shows a very interesting perspective, and a very curious eye as to the smaller life going unobserved by many people, but that is the true beauty of macro,taking something so simple that everyone sees almost daily and bringing new life to it. Some of my other hobbies are music and I often have looked for hours at a SACD with different lights,color temperatures, and several add on diopter and effects filters looking for that one image that would bring it to life,still searching! Although not much time to play with that either, there just seems to be endless crime scenes and tragedies to document as of late, but given the state of the world I don't think they are going to declare a crime free time for me to relax and have some fun!.

Most reactions

Back