Macro Lens - which one?

I'm not feeling a lotta love for the Nikkor 105 D f/2.8. It is the gold standard. Good working distance for small critters, sharp as a tack and makes a great portrait lens to boot.
This! The 105D is a GREAT lens. It's tack-sharp, built like a tank, and works great as a portrait lens in addition to being a stellar macro lens.

I am very happy with my Tokina 100mm macro f/2.8 and would definitely recommend it. It's tied with my 70-200 f/2.8 for sharpness and beats my Nikkor 50mm and 35mm primes.

f/2.8 and AF come in handy for when you're using it for non-macro purposes.

For what you are wanting to use if for, either the 90mm Tamron or the 100mm Tokina would best suit your needs. The 60mm Nikkor will not work as well as it will require too short of a working distance for live critters. When I was shopping for a macro, I considered the same 90mm Tamron and 100mm Tokina but, I opted to bite the bullet and spend the extra money and get the Nikon 105mm f/2.8. I have been extremely satisfied with it.

+1 on the Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR

Thanks a lot guys :) Can't wait to get my hands on it :)

Cheers,
Tommy_Boy

I have the AF-S 60 G, the Tokina 100 and the Nikkor 200 f/4 micro. All very sharp. For macro lenses, the 60 and the Tokina AF are pretty quick - although the front element moves on the Tokina. The 60 G is great but will limit you up close. The 200 f/4 is fantastic, but has wafer thin DOF even at f/16. But it is a cracking lens. Got mine second hand. It doesn't come up often.

Try the 60mm G with raynox 250 attached, you can go really close.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back