Macro Lenses

Hi! I'm a newbie here and I am also wondering about which macro lens to get. You see, way in the past I had a Minolta MD Rokkor-X Macro 50mm f3.5. I'm not sure if you guys are/were familiarized with this lens but (and excuse my ignorance), how does it compare with the MPE-E 65mm, if at all? You see, this was the only macro I had and I remember it was a challenge but I absolutely adored it until it got stolen.
[h=2][/h]

Alvarez - scroll back a page in this thread and have a read - several points are made specifically regarding the MPE lens and its suitability to macro photography for first timers or those just getting back into it.

Canon do make a regular 50mm macro lens, however it lacks "true" macro capabilities unless you also purchase its specific lifesize adaptor - at which point you've spent as much as several very good longer focal length options.

Sigma make a decent 50mm f2.8 macro which is true macro capable.

Personally I'd say 60mm macro options (or the 70mm from sigma) are better if you're looking to start general macro shooting, but not bugs. If you want bugs then Tamrons 90mm macro lens or longer focal length lenses are what I would advise.

MPE65mm I advise as getting later - get 1:1 magnification first, then look for going more with an existing lens to try it out (2:1 beyond are much much harder magnifications to work at).

Everyone seems to forget about the Tokina atx pro d 100mm f2.8 macro. I like it for macro and portraits. Built like a tank. In the end it depends on you the user. You can find one used from $350-400 or $425 new. If you can find one that is.

5798819335_3aa35662f6_z.jpg

5760613780_f19b6a2143_z.jpg

5760552224_ce6fae60e3_z.jpg

5760003219_2559721464_z.jpg

5313855174_173d649998_z.jpg

5798817231_0f0512f730_z.jpg

Alvarez - scroll back a page in this thread and have a read - several points are made specifically regarding the MPE lens and its suitability to macro photography for first timers or those just getting back into it.

Canon do make a regular 50mm macro lens, however it lacks "true" macro capabilities unless you also purchase its specific lifesize adaptor - at which point you've spent as much as several very good longer focal length options.

Sigma make a decent 50mm f2.8 macro which is true macro capable.

Personally I'd say 60mm macro options (or the 70mm from sigma) are better if you're looking to start general macro shooting, but not bugs. If you want bugs then Tamrons 90mm macro lens or longer focal length lenses are what I would advise.

MPE65mm I advise as getting later - get 1:1 magnification first, then look for going more with an existing lens to try it out (2:1 beyond are much much harder magnifications to work at).
Thanks!
Yes, I read the whole thread. I was just wondering if anybody hads this Rokkor lens. Sounds much like the MPE65mm....
No, I don't have it intended for insects.... er, :meh: not an insect fan although I do admire other people's insects. But mostly for stills. I like challenges and that MPE lens really looks like one.

Last edited:
From what I can find on the Rokkor 50mm f3.5 macro its a true macro lens - which means it gets to the same 1:1 magnification ratio that all the other true macro lenses mentioned are capable of. The MPE 65mm macro on the other hand is a lot more in that its magnification, and focus range starts at 1:1 and moves through to 5:1. I has no infinity focus (it won't focus on anything further than a few cms in front of it - at the 1:1 magnification point).
For an idea this is the frame at 1:1 that you'd get from a 50mm macro, 100mm macro, 180mm macro - in other words any true macro capable lens at its closest focusing distance:
4329833751_3e0b3240f4.jpg

The MPE65mm would get that shot as well, but its also capable of increasing its magnification to 5:1 to get this:
4329917049_3397258cf6.jpg

The order of difficulty is a lot greater at these higher magnifications with both focusing and lighting control. If you're working on static subjects though you can use a good quality tripod, a geared tripod head and a focusing rail to take your time. Note you'll need a geared tripod head (manfrotto junior geared head is a good and popular option) for the fine controls you'll need at the higher magnifications - whilst the focusing rail is highly important to shift the focus back and forth slightly to get the focus where you need it.
It is a lens capable of some fantastic results, but it is ranked as one of the hardest lenses to use, using it well is harder still. Not impossible, but many do find it more than they can manage - working with static subjects though you do at least have time to setup without a hurry.

thanks alverez57.

I want a MPE 65mm so bad.

Most reactions

Back