Macro lighting help please

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It would be nice to get that wide angle perspective feel to macro shots going (unfortunatly here only 28mm on a dslr so not very wide), the lense of the wide angle has to be right up against the subject to get it to fill the frame at all. The subject in these is actually touching the lens. Any hints on lighting the subject? my ring flas is about 25mm deep, and when i get far enough away to use it the subject is too small, when it is close enough the ring flash only provides back lighting. has anyone ever tryed anything like this? how do you get a 3 point light, or any other set up going?

venus2.jpg

venus3.jpg

succulent1.jpg

succulent2.jpg

The second two are ring flash, hence the back light, and the first two are halogen, (sorry yellow cast) but still not lit from the viewers position as the camera lense gets in the way :(. the rest of the shots were even worse with respect to the light getting bounced into the lens giving really blown out highlihgts. I was thinking of ripping a fiber optic lamp to peices and trying to wire it to a flash some how?

Oh and any other criticisms sugestions or hints on the results so far very welcome pleas :)

thanks

tim

I think the answer is to use a longer lens that will give you more room to work.

I think the answer is to use a longer lens that will give you more room to work.

Typical eh :( :( :(, and there is no crying smily :). Ahh thanks mike but it is exactly that i want to get away from, my macro shots all look the same to me now for some reason, 90mm 105mm 180mm, no depth just portraiture and abstract no dynamic, you know what i mean?

tim

I've heard of people buying those sort of cheap ($40-$80) wide angle adaptors that are usually meant for digi-cams...any using them on SLR lenses. Apparently you can get a pretty close focus distance with some lenses...while getting that wide angle feel.

Someone on this forum was using one to shoot bugs I think...but that was at least a year or two ago...I don't remember who it was.

Most reactions

Back