Ironlegs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

Recently i got into Macro and i am really beginning to like it

I currently use Canon EOS 550d ( crop sensor ) and Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens

I really want to get closer in my Macros and i dont know EXACTLY what do i need... this is the closest i got
Look in those eyes... by Ironlegs Photography, on Flickr

And i want to get close to this without loosing quality, i want to be able to focus closer, any ideas what i might need ? How about CLOSE UP filters ?

Female Jumping Spider - Phidippus regius - Florida by Thomas Shahan / 500px

Thanks.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can afford 2 stops, a 2X teleconverter might be a good choice instead of extension tubes. It will turn your 100 mm into 200 mm and let you keep the focus distance of the lens. Extension tubes let you move the camera and focus closer, which also helps, but creatures like their space.

Either a smaller aperture or focus stacking, or both, will give more depth of field. A smaller aperture will also require more light or a very still subject and camera.

Some extension tubes. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extension ;) wink wink hahah

Thanks for responses everyone, i think i will look onto extension tubes, not auto focus ones though, i manual focus only and i will save money :D

If you can afford 2 stops, a 2X teleconverter might be a good choice instead of extension tubes. It will turn your 100 mm into 200 mm and let you keep the focus distance of the lens. Extension tubes let you move the camera and focus closer, which also helps, but creatures like their space.

Either a smaller aperture or focus stacking, or both, will give more depth of field. A smaller aperture will also require more light or a very still subject and camera.

Not sure if the converter is a good idea, my 100mm lens already acts like 160mm cause of the crop sensor.

Guys, how about close up filters ?

Thanks for responses everyone, i think i will look onto extension tubes, not auto focus ones though, i manual focus only and i will save money :D

Not sure if the converter is a good idea, my 100mm lens already acts like 160mm cause of the crop sensor.

Extension tubes are hollow, and thus add no elements. Close up filters add elements... So. No. Extension tubes [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, your 100 mm lens acts just like a 100 mm lens on your crop sensor body. Your crop sensor body just gets out a pair of scissors and trims the photo's edges off.

I haven't tried close up filters. Extension tubes and teleconverters work with most lenses (teleconverters don't work with EF-S lenses), filters require a set for each ring size.

Thanks, seems like extension tubes are the way to go for me, as soon as i get my hands on them i will post my results :D

First, let me say that I wouldn't want to get any closer to that critter, but to each his own.

I've used close-up filters and the less strong ones can give good results, so if you want to get just a little closer you could probably get reasonable results, especially if you crop some around the edges, but in the long run you'll be happier with a TC or tubes.

With auto focus ones you will get the beep indicating you have focus but you can still use manual focus...

Most reactions

Back