macro photography - different approaches

You say your subject will seldom be fixed and usually be moving around.
Sounds like you would like to try and shoot insects or small animals.
If that's the case you'd probably want to go with a longer focal length (like the 90mm or the 100mm ones) to increase the working distance making it less likely for you to scare away the animals.

Ok, supposing the following...: slight price differences aside, which of the following would be most recommended?

1) Nikon Nikkor 60mm f2.8 micro
2) Tamron 60mm f2.0 macro
3) Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro
4) Sigma 100mm f2.8 macro

I'm leaning toward the Tamron f2.0, or the Sigma 100mm, but am interesting in all opinions.

Note that working distance (the distance between the lens and the subject) is longer for longer lenses. This is very useful for shooting insects. If you try to get too close, they buzz off. Also, you're less likely to block the light with a longer working distance. If you're interested in insect macros, I suggest you go to at least 90mm.

For stationary subjects, lower focal length lenses are preferred because they provide more depth of field. So if your main interest is product photography, a 60mm lens may be a better choice.

Skip all those and go for the Sigma 150mm f2.8 EX APO DG HSM. Don't bother with the new OS version yet, unless you just have that much $$$ to drop. It'll come down in price later. If you are doing anything other than studio macro work, get the Sigma (Bugma) 150. Or, a used Sigma 180 or Tamron 180. What body is this going to be used on ? The new sensor in the d5100 and d7000 love Sigma macro glass, all of them.

I suggest this as macro shooting is 95% of my shooting. I started with the Tamron 90mm 2.8 SP Di (used). The AF mechanism, the clutch I mean, malfunctioned. Traded in on a Sigma 105mm 2.8 APO Ex DG. Great lens but I wasnt happy with the color rendition on the D90 sensor. Traded up to the Sigma 150 and haven't been happier since. One day I'll end up with the Nikon 200m f4, the holy grail of macro lenses (not counting the Canon 100mm 2.8L which IMO is the best, end of story).

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back