Macro & Portrait Lenses

L

lshantronl

I am looking for a macro and portrait lens for my Canon Rebel SL1. Can anyone recommend good lenses. I am looking to spend $500 or less on each lens.

Thanks

For a portrait lens that is less than $500, get the 85mm f/1.8.

As far as macro goes, I can't help you.

What lenses do you currently have?
For Portrait, 50mm to 135mm are the popular focal length to shoot portrait. Sometimes, I like the way the photo looks when it was shot at 200mm. If you have a telephoto lens, I will suggest you try it first and see.

As for macro, what kind of subject are you planning to shoot?

The Sigma 105 mm f2.8 does a good job, I'm sure you could pick one up in your price range.

You don't technically "need" a macro lens to do close-up work... but a macro lens will give the best results. You can, alternatively, use close-up diopters or extension tubes.

The Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM makes a pretty good portrait lens on your camera. There is a 50mm f/1.8 version as well and it's less expensive, but not nearly as good. The f/1.8 version is designed specifically to be "cheap" (the price point is it's best feature). The build quality, performance, and quality of the out of focus blur (due to the much better aperture shape) on the f/1.4 make it a noticeably better lens and well worth the cost difference.

Most reactions

Back