Macro ring flash for Olympus E5

Stelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
New to the site so please bear with me. I am trying to do some macro photography and want to get a ring flash. I see there are several off brands that are much cheaper than the Olympus but does anyone use an off brand ring flash with success?

I have in the past learned a lesson with a film camera Canon AE1 (no fault of mine since it was packaged in the kit I ordered) that you have to use a dedicated flash or it will not be good for the camera. Company made good on the camera but I do not want to do the same thing with the Olympus E5.

Anyone use an E5 with an off brand ring flash and if so what type?

Thanks for your replies. Stelle

I... want to get a ring flash. I see there are several off brands that are much cheaper than the Olympus but does anyone use an off brand ring flash with success?

Third-party ring flashes may not work in TTL automatic mode, but I don't think they should actually damage your camera, unless they are very old and have a very high trigger voltage.

Keep an eye on evilBay. I just got a used Olympus ring flash (RF-11) with controller (FC-11) for $110. It's in perfect condition, and appears to be unused.

Another nice thing about the Olympus system is the FC-1 controller will work with either the RF-11 ring flash or one or two of the TF-22 twin flash heads, which mount on the end of your macro lens. The ring flash gives you shadowless light, which can make things look flat and un-interesting, whereas the twin flashes let you control shadows to give more appearance of depth. You can control the ratio between the two twin lights. It's a marvelous system for macro!

Here is a study of various OM Zuiko macro lenses, lit by the FC-1/TF-22 combo.

Last edited:
After Three Years I would hope that the OP already figured it out since this thread is from 2014.

After Three Years I would hope that the OP already figured it out since this thread is from 2014.
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a heavily policed site.

I just thought that an unanswered message that I could provide some help with might, y'know, be searched by others seeking the same information.

I'll go away now, since it seems my input is not desired.

(The cognitive dissonance between your signature quotes and your message is fascinating.)

It's not an issue of policing. When people come to this site they ask questions wanting answers for their particular situation. Rarely do they search for answers from old posts, they are concerned with their situation. When old posts are dug up, the OP, as in this case haven't been seen in a long time. The best advice is that which reaches the one that seeks it.

Sorry you feel the need to leave. That was not the point. There are so many people that come here on a daily basis seeking help that there is always a need for opinions, information and assistance.

Most reactions

Back