Macro setup Q

JayJay65

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright.. so heres what i did.. I ordered a macro lense from b&h: Sigma Telephoto 150mm f/2.8 EX APO Macro, also a UV filter (to protect it) and a warranty.. now heres the question part..

My friend explained what an extension tube is for my macro lense, but I um.. :confused: kinda forgot what he said.. can someone explain what an extension tube does and what (if it applys to anything related to my macro set up, what an adapter does?)

Thank you!! :mrgreen:

It makes an ordinary lens into a macro lens. Not that you will need it with your choice of lens, it already has macro incorporated into it. The 150mm is not the best choice for a lens useable for anything other than macros and the odd telephoto work due to the sensor crop values (most but not all dSLRs today are like that). I prefer the 105mm for a little more useability with ZERO loss in macro quality or magnification (both the 150 and 105 go 1:1 in macro mode).

I have the 105mm, and its good for portature (given a little room) and macro work:

A reduced pic of the entire frame (picture of an ordinary small old computer ram chip):

1660242996_2024f9f974.jpg

At 100%, then cropped and resized to fit on this page:

1659376861_e9b00d8fce.jpg

The link below is to the fullsized pic of the one above... take a look:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2033/1659376861_27669ce9dd_o.jpg

Here is what I was shooting:

1555055224_db57abac7e.jpg

Finally, what it looks like on my D200:

1659381631_685479cde1.jpg

It makes an ordinary lens into a macro lens. Not that you will need it. What kind of camera will you be putting that Sigma on? If its a Nikon, the 150mm is not the best choice for a lens useable for anything other than macros.

Olympus E-510

Yes. Extension tubes do not contain glass. You can get them in sets which vary in sizes and maintain the electrical contacts.

You shouldn't need extension tubes for this lens, unless you're going for magnification greater than 1:1. They will reduce your working distance.

Insects, birds, flowers, plants, ect ect..

Closeup filters do suffer a quality hit but that said you still get some great quality shots from them, especially if you use good closeup filters.

Extension tubes can turn a normal lens into a macro lens but they are cumbersome and you loose your ability to focus at infinity in return for the macro focusing range.

If you really do like macro photography, there really is no substitute for a decent 1:1 lens.

Most reactions

Back