Macro shooting question.

Holydeath

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sometimes when I want to take some macro shots, I realise that my kit lens just isn't enough. I can never get my focus ring to focus on the actual subject and the focal length is not long length. But I cannot afford macro lens, therefore, I found two alternatives - the Raynox DCR-150 or 250, and a close-up filter.

Which one do you guys prefer and what are the main differences between the 150 and the 250?

Thanks

The DCR 250 is the stronger of the two and for a short focal length lens, like most kit lenses (which tend to be around 50-85mm in focal length at the long end) you need all the power you can get. This is because close up lens attachments give more magnification on longer focal length lenses, and thus less on shorter ones.

The close up lens attachments are a great item, they slip onto the front of your lens very fast and are easily used, small and not a hassle. However if you want to get the most possible magnification (and an idea of what you want to shoot is important here) then I would not go for the close up lens attachments on a typical kit lens. Instead I would go for a set of Kenko extension tubes. These will typically be a bit more expensive than the DCR 250, but on a short focal length lens offer the user a much greater level of magnification.

Of course as your magnification goes up with these methods your distance of lens to subject decreases, so you'll end up closer as you head into the higher magnifications (this is where a proper macro lens has its advantages). However a full set of Kenko Extension tubes should still give a usable distance to work with - and will have a greater magnification than the DCR 250.

This is because extension tubes give more magnification on shorter focal length lenses over longer ones.

Persoanlly I don't use my extension tubes as much as they are more fiddly to add in and take out of a lens sysetm, but if I wanted high magnification on a short focal length lens they are the best tool for the job.

Note make sure you get the right Kenko extension tubes that come with the metal contacts to allow you to control your lens; if you don't then you'll have very cheap tubes that don't have the metal contacts and thus you won't be able to change your aperture on the lens at all.

Most reactions

Back