Macro shots of a Snake and a Beetle

NoahMacLeod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
noahmacleod.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can I get some critique on these shots please, I just started photography this week and I could use all the help I can get. I personnally like these two shots, but I prefer the beetle as the snake is a little out of focus, thanks in advance for the feedback!

Cheers NoahMacLeod

Update- I think I took the quality down a bit too much to upload so may be blurry

Attachments

• $snake back small fle.jpg
    $snake back small fle.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 151
  • $asadada small file.jpg
    $asadada small file.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 154
If you will share your exif data with us, we might be able to help you figure out why the snake shot isn't in focus.

As for the rest of it, I prefer the angle of the snake shot to the beetle. If you think of these as "portraits" for the animal, you might achieve a better result. For instance, I would probably never take a picture of the top of my kids head. If you instead get down on their level and look into their eye(s) it creates a stronger connection to the subject. That's the reason I'm not so fond of the bug shot composition.

Also, I feel like the white balance is leaning a little blue. I'm not on a calibrated screen though, so perhaps someone else is better suited to comment on that.

I really appreciate the texture you were able to bring out from the rocks on the ground,

On the snake picture, let's assume you nailed the focus. I like the perspective you took here as I feel like the snake is coming at me. On the other hand, wish you had used a more less shallow depth of field so his entire "neck" in focus. I'm just not loving how it's in focus, out, back in. Does that make sense?

Just my humble 2¢

yeah ok thanks thats kind of what I thought too except for the beetle, I personnally like the angle, not sure why but thanks a ton for the feeback

Just want to echo the depth of field comment. A smaller aperture would do great things for both of these.

Most reactions

Back