Macro telephoto lens suggestions.

Tyguy35

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me with macro lens suggestions.
I am looking for a lens that can take photos sharp and I can get good shot of bugs or lizards or frogs eyes.
Most these animals will be skittish so I can't get to close. I was wondering if there was a good telephoto lens that can act as a macro. I can maybe start learning to take pics like orion mystery. Or am I better off just going with a nikon 105mm?

thanks

You should state how much you want to spend.

My price range would be up to 1500 I guess cheaper the better. If the lens is a cheap good lens I'm ok with that, If it's cheap and amazing I'm happy with that also. I dot really have one I am mostly looking at options at the moment. I was also hoping for vibration reduction as well.

The nikon 105mm 2.8 has great reviews and costs half of what you want to spend. If you are shooting a DX camera you will be shooting at 150mm

Cheapest price in Canada Here!

That is a great price do you think they take trade ins? I am shooting a d7000.

I am shooting a 105mm f/2.8 and I love it.

B&H is $899 for that lens new, but I have purchased a couple of used lens from B&H over the years and never had a problem. Worst case you return it since their return policy is pretty liberal. They will also take your trade ins (although you can get more if you sell it privately).

I took some closeups of a Black Widow spider that almost gave me a heart attack when I opened a watering bag on one of my new trees this summer. If I have time to upload them later I will.

How old are you? How's your ninja skills? I ask because these will effect how close you can get and thus what range you need. I highly suggest the newest Sigma 180 or Tamron 180. Both are wonderful. Beautiful bokeh and a great working distance. I'm most probably goin to trade in my sigma 150mm and some other glass for one of em. Can't go wrong with either one. And yes, after shooting years of bugs (really skittish ones) on DX I highly recommend at least 150mm unless your ninja skills are really good. Then you can use any mm from 40mm to 200mm. I use a 65mm, 90mm, and 150mm (sometimes with a 1.4x TC).

Ditto for the 105mm Fx. I started with macro last summer and visited a center that had poisonous frogs, that ya just didnt want to get too close, and the 105 got me closer than i wanted. Alternatively, i used my DX 70-200 f2.8' to do some macro, but it required a tripod.

I believe my ninja skills are pretty good. Served in the forces for 4 years and had a job that envolved me getting close and not being seen which was fun haha. I have been using the 40mm since I started and have got stupid close to viper snakes and and other animals. It's fun trying to ninja your way up but sucks when you don't get a shot. Thrilling when you do. I'll look into everything everyone has talked about thanks a lot.

What lenses do you have?

I have a 40mm and a 18-300.

I believe my ninja skills are pretty good. Served in the forces for 4 years and had a job that envolved me getting close and not being seen which was fun haha. I have been using the 40mm since I started and have got stupid close to viper snakes and and other animals. It's fun trying to ninja your way up but sucks when you don't get a shot. Thrilling when you do. I'll look into everything everyone has talked about thanks a lot.

If that's the case I still suggest the Latest Sigma 180mm or Tamron 180mm (or if money ain't no thing Nikon 200mm f4 as suggested above). If they are not an option due to price then I suggest the Sigma 150mm OS, then Nikon 105mm VR... In that order.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back