Macro - Testing my new lens

Please can you post a pic of your current setup

I'm just handholding the flash at the moment. I was going to make up a bracket but it seem just as easy to hold it and its more flexible.

macrosetup800x533uf9.jpg

Wow great shots. You can also try putting th eflash on a tripod instead of hand holding it. I like a tripod with a diffuser between its legs and the flash pointing down, it gives very natural lighting, then both hands are free for the camera and the lighting doesnt change between shots.

tim

I'm just handholding the flash at the moment. I was going to make up a bracket but it seem just as easy to hold it and its more flexible.

macrosetup800x533uf9.jpg

Similar to my favourite set up.

I have tried 1 flash, 2 flashes and 3 flashes. Used Catus triggers, and sync cord, plus a ring flash.

However the best is still a basic bracket and 1 flash

2565531400_7182cfae67.jpg

Last edited:
Great start with the new lens :) - if often seems to me that the MPE 65 has a built in jumping spider attraction device - seems they are always shot ;)

As for the flash does the MPE come with a tripod collar fitting? If so then you can try getting a mini ball head and attaching the flash to that as normal, then get a bolt that will fit the thread on the tripod collar and cut off the end - this then lets you screw in the mini ball head and there you have it - adjustable lighting whilst retaining both hands on the camera.

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I'll try them out.
I've had the flash on my tripod for a while today, useful in some situations.

The lens does seem to attract jumpers, but I'm loving the mantis' that are out at the moment.
From today :)

So cool to see these alien-looking creatures

I just got a macro lens and I can't wait to get out and start taking pictures with it. Your series has inspired me. Great job & thanks for sharing!

Most reactions

Back