Macro Videos

TheFantasticG

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gplimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

2nd round of editing this video. Any suggestions on making the video better or something to practice next time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check it out, but it's currently being processed.

Damn. I think because I told youtube to put some music to it... anyway, I got a 2nd edited version of the video that cuts out a lot of the OOF time...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. What to work on for next time? Probably catching some meaningful action, honestly. It's great to see the bugs sitting there and all, but there's really nothing spectacular about what they're doing. And, you've got quite a bit of shakiness and unevenness when you rack focus. So, work on that. Your colors are a tad flat as well. So, some work in post could be appreciated.

Sorry to nit pick, but how else do you learn, right?

If you're interested, I've done macro videos in the past as well. They can be seen here. (click "Load more videos") Some are much better than others.

Mark

Get a tripod...seriously it's really shaky for macro shots...or most video shots...Get a slider...make the shots more cinematic and creative...shoot through things..find better angles...draw the bugs to us...nobody wants to see bug sitting there and doing nothing the whole time..Just need more gears and creative shots.

You could always stabilize in postpro and also add some brightness/contrast.

Get a tripod...seriously it's really shaky for macro shots...or most video shots...Get a slider...make the shots more cinematic and creative...shoot through things..find better angles...draw the bugs to us...nobody wants to see bug sitting there and doing nothing the whole time..Just need more gears and creative shots.

It was on a manfrotto ball head/tripod. The main focus (pun intended) was to practice pulling focus free handed which is where the shakes come from. Obviously more practice is needed.... but I do believe there are focus pulling mechanisms that would make that focusing smooth... What is this slider are you referring to? Shooting through things wasn't going to happen at that location... and the bugs weren't doing much given how early in the morning it was, which is the best time for stills since they aren't doing much which was my main goal of that morning. With all that being said I won't be purchasing gear strictly for video as it's not the main purpose of my shooting, but I would like to get decent bits from time to time. Thanks for the input from you and Mark.

TheFantasticG said:
It was on a manfrotto ball head/tripod. The main focus (pun intended) was to practice pulling focus free handed which is where the shakes come from. Obviously more practice is needed.... but I do believe there are focus pulling mechanisms that would make that focusing smooth... What is this slider are you referring to? Shooting through things wasn't going to happen at that location... and the bugs weren't doing much given how early in the morning it was, which is the best time for stills since they aren't doing much which was my main goal of that morning. With all that being said I won't be purchasing gear strictly for video as it's not the main purpose of my shooting, but I would like to get decent bits from time to time. Thanks for the input from you and Mark.

He meant a rail. There are several do it yourself videos on YouTube on how to make them, or you can buy one but I think they can get pretty expensive

I have a focus fail, but I didn't have it with me. I normally use it for focus stacking. Same kind of rail?

There are quite a few companies that makes follow focus ring that makes it easier and smoother to follow focus.

Follow Focus - Zacuto

I usually use my hand on the lens to follow focus, but it's always on a tripod or monopod.

Most reactions

Back