Macro with a D70

Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 micro ($750) is an awesome lens. The Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 micro ($400) is also awesome and is almost half the price of the 105mm. Along with canons lenses these are probably the best macro lenses available.

I personally use my 105mm much more then the 60mm when shooting hand held due to the longer working distance and since it is physically longer it fits my hand better. I like the 60mm when using the tripod.

Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina also make decent macro lenses in the 90mm to 105mm range. These lenses are more plastic, but are cheaper and have pretty good glass. They have gotten good reviews by many others on this forum.

Unless you are on a really tight budget, don't get tricked into using close up filters. You won't get tack sharp results.

K

photography monthly reviewed 5 100mm 2.8 range macro lenses, and the nikon placed fairly good. The sigma 105mm 2.8 got the highest rating, though, because of it's great optical quality and build quality, and because of the MUCH lower price. I say go with that, or get that 60 2.8 mentioned, which is an amazing lens, and would work well with a 1.5x crop.

don't forget about the 1.5x magnification. I haven't checked sigma's site lately but they had a few digital lenses on there a while ago and im sure some macros.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back