Macro

dab_20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I'm looking for a macro lens. I already have a 14-45 mm lens... and macro lenses are 35 mm. Does that mean the lens I already have is like a macro lens? Or does the mm not have much to do with it?

I'm sorry for such a stupid question... I just want to clear up my confusion I have. lol

Wikipedia:"a few zooms provide a macro option, but they generally do not allow a 1:1 magnification"

Its more about the magnification than the actual mm. Though it does matter. For instance you have a longer working distance with a 180mm macro than with a 50 mm macro.

Ohh I see. So let's say you wanted to get a really close up picture of an insect, you would generally want a higher mm in order to take the photo from far away? (so it doesn't scare away)

In theory yes. But then you get into trying to get higher magnification, like there is one Canon lens that does up to 5x magnification, and its, I believe, a 50mm. I am going to get my first macro lens soon, so I have been looking into this alot!!

65mm to be exact...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-MP-E-65mm-1-5x-Macro-Lens-Review.aspx

Not easy to use nor is it cheap. It is full manual lens. You'll need a tripod, good lighting (or use ringlight or something similar), a tripod head that has rails to adjust forward and backwards (not sure what it is called specifically) to take full advantage of this specialized lens.

I've rented and tried it myself... was fun to play with but required too much investment for a type of photography I just don't do too much of.

Many end up getting the EF180mm macro instead for good working distance and 1:1 magnification.

I also ended up with a the life-size converter specifically designed for the Canon 50mm macro real cheap at a camera swap. I've had some success pairing it up with my 100-400mm. It does take a bit of work to use as you get no AF and I'm focusing it without the proper tripod/head. One plus is that you get a good amount of working distance. It is essentially a teleconverter with a extension tube paired up. I got the idea to play around with 100-400+lifesize adapater from some guy who posted wonderful pictures somewhere doing the same thing. I'll get around to getting the 50mm macro ... whenever I get around to it... no hurry on my part.

I love the 180mm F/3.5L, but a little out of my price range for something that I would not use all the time. I was looking at getting the 100mm f/2.8 USM.

You wouldn't have to worry about any of this anyway since you have an Olympus camera! :mrgreen: :sexywink:

It kind of depends on what type of macro you will be shooting, and how deep your pockets are. I shoot insects and many other things as well. I find that a 105mm on my aps C sized sensor works very well for me.

I have the Sigma f2.8 105mm EX DG APO MACRO. and it really kicks it. It is razor sharp, fast and versatile. Sigma have a habbit of producing lenses that are as good as the marque lenses but at about half to two thirds of the price. Deffinately worth a look. Especially if you put some extension rings behind it.... but if you do that you will want some good light (a good flash is reccommended).

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/groupcaptainbonzo/IMG_4898.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/groupcaptainbonzo/IMG_4582-1.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/groupcaptainbonzo/IMG_4002.jpg

I have been hearing some really good things about the Sigma macro lenses recently. One reviewer of the 180mm f/3.5L Canon lens said that the Sigma one was just as good if not better. Might be worth it for the Sigma one, especially since it is not as expensive anyway.

I take it the 105 is a 1:1?

Yes the 105 reproduces at up to 1:1. But if you want you can boost that with ..... Close up filters. Extension tubes or teleconverters. BUT make sure that you still have the awesome amount of light required for "Micro" (Anything better than 1:1) photography...

Yeah I am going to have to pick up a macro light eventually. I like the way they look, very professional! :mrgreen:

Do you need a specific extension tube to push a macro magnification? Like would the same 2X II Extender EF that I use for the telephoto lens do it, or would that just increase the focal length?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back