Made myself a website

Discussion in 'Personal and Professional Photography Websites' started by weepete, Aug 11, 2018 at 8:57 AM.

1. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi everyone!

Thought I'd take advantage of Adobe portfolio being included in their photography plan after recently being asked if I had a website. I just intend to use it as a single point where I can show off my images, for those occasions where someone asks or a freind asks me to show an image. It took me a while to get my head around how to use their template system and I don't like the landing page, seems more suited to people who work on individual projects and whose photography can be split into themes. I'd have preferred just straight into a single page gallery. Any feedback would be welcome.

Faodail Photography

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 4:54 PM
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    While the templates aren't the most elegant, it's simple and functional,which is important. The one thing I did notice is that your home page image seemed to take a LONG time (>20 seconds) to resolve fully, which indicates the file size might be too large.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Some lovely landscapes, Pete. Possibly do a proofread on the text on that page. Page loaded rapidly
    On iPhone, contrast/brightness looks good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BrentC

BrentC Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks simple but good. Everything loaded fast for me. Didn't realise this was included with the photography package. Might make use of it to display my better work. Is it limited features with the photography package?

• Like Like x 1
  5. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks nice, works well. Accomplishes the stated purpose perfectly. Terrific images.

I think you might be able to remove the landing page, or edit that page to be a single gallery page... maybe? I played around with Portfolio to make the same type of site and found most of the templates weren't for me. But I ended up with something very similar to yours and I'm happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fujidave

Fujidave They Call me the wanderer Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    When I use to have the old Adobe deal I used the Portfolio too, like you I had the black BG too. Since I have now dropped the deal I tend to use my Google Blogger to show the better images of the singers I take.

• Like Like x 1
  7. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks mate, I did export the images 1440 wide so it may be the landing page images are too large, I'll look into it and see if there's an option to set the size of the thumbnails. I argree totally with the templates being a bit clunky, but for a free webpage I'll live with that just now. Maybe in the future I can taylor the content a bit to get it a bit more professional. It might spur me on a bit to think of a shoot as sets and come up with a few series for locations I've been in. Something to explore certainly I think. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

8. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks mate, I did try and keep it to my stronger ones, without duplication (bar one, I couldn't resist keeping funny uncle Dave in one shot). It was acutally really good to go through my shots and I'm really pleasantly suprised about how far I've come in my own eyes and what I was trying to show back when I started vs what I can produce now. I've never been good at spelling so thanks for the heads up, I'll check and adjust. The feedback is much appreciated!

9. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks mate. Yeah, apparently portfolio has been included for a couple of years and I never noticed it either. Limited features as far as templates go (afaik you can only use the templates so some customisation options are limited) and domain names but you can customise the content so shoehorn a few things with default options. But it's essentailly free if you have the photography plan anyway ;). Much appreciated for the feedback!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 10:12 PM
  10. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks mate, I'll look into it a bit further as time allows. I agree about the templates, hard to get ideal with any template though! Any chance on a link to your page? It would be good go see it. I appreciate the feedback!

11. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks mate, I do tend towards dark backgrounds anyway but find that the luminocity always looks better on grey or black. Thanks for the feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  12. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

Here's my site, thanks for asking. I think we may have used the same template! There are many changes that can be made to the templates, just another learning curve. I bought my own domain name, not that it really matters.
    Zac Ludwig

• Like Like x 1