Made the jump to a D7000. What to expect?

JohnS.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know there are lots of articles out there but do you guys have anything in particular bookmarked that would benefit me more than reading random gibberish that Google brings up from searches?

I happened to get an extremely good deal on an eBay auction for a D7000 body only which will replace a D80. So yeah...quite a big leap (for me). I'm just hoping it's not one of those too-good-to-be-true deals that ends up being a scam. The seller has gotten positive feedback for other sold items since I sent a payment for my item so there is still hope.

I am VERY excited to start playing with this and especially learning about video mode. I have always been fascinated with DSLR's and their video recording capabilities.

Thanks in advance!

Start by reading the users manual.

In particular the section on Focus since the AF module in the D7000 (Multi-CAM 4800DX) is a lot more sophisticated than the AF module (Multi-CAM 1000) in the D80. http://pixelfinesse.com/_docs/D7000_AF_Explained.pdf

Also note the improvement in the metering sensor (from 420 px to 2014 px)

Start by reading the users manual.

In particular the section on Focus since the AF module in the D7000 (Multi-CAM 4800DX) is a lot more sophisticated than the AF module (Multi-CAM 1000) in the D80. http://pixelfinesse.com/_docs/D7000_AF_Explained.pdf

Also note the improvement in the metering sensor (from 420 px to 2014 px)

Yeah I saw somewhere in a Google search that the controls are (way?) different and might throw people off. I'll definitely have to read the manual and "re-learn" everything. Thanks for the link!

You can most definitely make a high quality movie with dslr's.

Last edited by a moderator:
What to expect from a D7000 ?

Considering its a crop sensor camera you can expect good low light performance, good dynamic range, good ergonomic (well I like it anyways), good AF system.
Sadly I am not a happycamper when it comes to the D7000, I bought one a year and a half ago and had AF problems that were never fuly resolved so I replaced it with the D7100 and now I am happy :)
But for the most parts the D7000 is an awesome camera!!!

Enjoy!

Expect a camera that does most things a little better. Better autofocus, more mp allowing crop more, better low light performance and raw files that allow more editing, with less clipped highlights and shadows.

However, these are all subtle improvements and many photos day to day may not see these improvements. You may initially think there is little difference, but the camera will be noticeably better in trickier light situations. Enjoy

Ugh. The seller emails me from her private email claiming she messaged me on eBay but have not heard a response regarding if I still want the camera even though she doesn't have the manual. I have a feeling this is going to end badly..

What's funny is that my eBay settings are set to receive an email when I get eBay messages. I have been checking my eBay and email every day since the auction ended and don't have any messages from her.

What's even better is she have me a tracking number on FRIDAY.... She brings this up NOW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm sounds fishy... Keep on her with the communication. And re-read the listing looking for anything odd. Also what's her seller score?

I'v had my D7000 for some time now and love it. Can do some real nice work even with the kit lens. When looking to buy, I just wanted to see pics that people took with the camera I was getting... So here's my photostream for you, which is 99% done with the D7000, kit lens, and no additional lighting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118489034@N05/

Ugh. The seller emails me from her private email claiming she messaged me on eBay but have not heard a response regarding if I still want the camera even though she doesn't have the manual. I have a feeling this is going to end badly..

What's funny is that my eBay settings are set to receive an email when I get eBay messages. I have been checking my eBay and email every day since the auction ended and don't have any messages from her.

What's even better is she have me a tracking number on FRIDAY.... She brings this up NOW?

Did you pay for it? I hate ebay I'd rather buy used stuff from KEH good prices and a 6 month warranty but that is only my opinion.......... "Caveat Emptor"

Hmmm sounds fishy... Keep on her with the communication. And re-read the listing looking for anything odd. Also what's her seller score?

I'v had my D7000 for some time now and love it. Can do some real nice work even with the kit lens. When looking to buy, I just wanted to see pics that people took with the camera I was getting... So here's my photostream for you, which is 99% done with the D7000, kit lens, and no additional lighting.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118489034@N05/

100% with 206 feedback, the most recent few being within the past few days. And her listing didn't show anything odd. I read that thing up and down several times before making a bid. I've been scammed multiple times in the past for $500+ amounts so I'm very cautious when sending money regardless of the site I buy from. I was actually scammed many years ago when I tried buying another DSLR on eBay.

Thanks!

I have a d7000 alongside my d600 FF

try this place to learn
Everything D7000

if you don't have the manual you can download it from Nikon at
http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/D7000_EN.pdf

I think it's a great camera . AF system and all. But like any camera it seems some may have issues. Luckily mine doesn't :)
The good thing is that with the inbody focus motor it opens you up to cheaper older and faster lenses to save some $$$.

Thanks for the links!

Did you pay for it? I hate ebay I'd rather buy used stuff from KEH good prices and a 6 month warranty but that is only my opinion.......... "Caveat Emptor"

I always immediately pay after I win auctions on eBay but I'm smart. I pay with my credit card through PayPal if it's like over $50-$100 lol (depending on the item). The times I have been scammed in the past, I have been completely refunded by my credit card company within the first couple days of filing a dispute. I never buy anything on eBay without PayPal at the very least.

I was tempted to pick up an "E" rated D7000 body from Adorama for a little more but this was a GREAT deal. I'm surprised no one else bid on it! Now I'm kind of regretting it. The chances you take to save a little bit of money with eBay...

what is the ebay link ?

give her the benefit of the doubt. ebay sucks, especially when trying to use their messaging system via the mobile app. as for the manual - so what. i've never taken mine out of the cellophane. i just look at the PDFs online. you got a great deal didn't you? enjoy the camera. it seems unlikely that you will be the exception to her 100% feedback rating.

good luck.

So I received the camera yesterday and it appears to be in decent condition. Not as good as I thought considering the listing said it had low actuations and was used for leisure. There's a lot of (what appears to be) dirt/dust in tiny cracks and edges. It kind of bothered me at first but it's nothing a little cleaning can't take care of. The seller also sent me a random dirty and worn copy of a 50mm 1.8D which was very surprising. Maybe she felt bad for the delayed shipping and included it for free? Who knows but it works. There is also dust under the back LCD but again, nothing that bothers me too much. I'll have to get a cover tomorrow.

Another thing I noticed was the shutter release button and sub-command dial aren't as "crisp" as they are on my D80. Is this normal? The half step down on the shutter release almost appears non-existent when I press down all the way.

I just got home about 15 minutes ago from work and errands so I haven't had a chance to take any decent pictures with it but man, the random pictures around the apartment look way more awesome. The increase in dynamic range is clearly noticeable. I also read the manual a bit and learned the new dial commands, etc. etc. Recording is awesome! But is there a setting that makes the camera constantly stay in focus on the chosen focus point? I noticed too that when I played the recording back, you can hear the lens focusing (I've left the 50mm on). I'm assuming an external mic reduces that noise?

This is exciting :D.

Most reactions

Back