Madison WI 4" hail maker (Lightning)

wxnut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dougraflikphotography.com
Between the city of Madison, the 60mph forward movement, and the reports of baseball sized hail, I couldnt, and really didnt want to get too close to this storm, so I photographed it from a distance. these were taken while it was over Madison. Taken between 9:35 and 9:45 PM. Looking southeast from the Black earth area.

4_13_06lightning1.jpg

4_13_06lightning2.jpg

4_13_06lightning3.jpg

4_13_06lightning4.jpg

4_13_06lightning5.jpg

4_13_06lightning6.jpg

They are absolutely incredible. I love the 5th one. I would like to see them with a gap between each picture too because they tend to merge into one at the moment, at least on my monitor! :roll: They look great merged together but I'd like to see them separately too! I also can't quite decide whether I'd clone out the tiny light spots.

Anyway, I love them :mrgreen:

cool shots, i'm loving your weather photos...

what causes the difference in colors from left to right... ? it is most evident in #5, purply on the left, gray on the right...?

Amazing... I was out yesterday in that and so wanted to get pics of the lightning, but was too busy trying to find some safe place to park my car. (*grumble*)
You really captured it extremely well!

Great shots, as always! The boyfriend was trying to capture lightning yesterday...he got one sorta decent shot, but we also didn't have a good place to shoot from (my apartment window in the middle of town)...I'm gonna have to show him your shots. :D

Amazing images. The first one rocks.!!!

JTHphoto said:
what causes the difference in colors from left to right... ? it is most evident in #5, purply on the left, gray on the right...?

Only thing I can think of is the left cell was over the city of madison, and the other was a few miles outside of it, so the redish colors are street lights reflecting off the clouds. As the second storm moves left, it to becomes redish.

Incredible captures. Just amazing. Good work

These are awesome.
I wish we had storms like that sometimes. We havent had lighting here for a while now. Ah well, just have to be patient i guess.
Anyways, topjob :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back