Magazines

JCE

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking to get a subscription. Any opinions on the most popular mags, particularly for serious hobbyists? Thanks.

I get Rangefinder and Photoshop User.
Rangefinder content is aimed at those in the business of doing photography.
Photoshop User content is aimed at both photographers and graphic artists. Photoshop User also has content about using Lightroom.

Most of the photography magazines found on the news stand rack seem to repeat the same articles on an 18-20 month cycle.
The product reviews seem more like advertisements than critical reviews.

Last edited:
The only problem I tend to find with a fair few magazines today is that up to half (sometimes more in some) can be just pure advertisements. That's a pain when you open it up and half of what you've got is instantly ignorable.

The other flipside is many of the magazines do three things:
1) They target the beginner market more strongly than others. This results in a general overall introductary level of many articles.

2) They repeat year on year. So at certain times of the year you'll get the same tutorials and the same content as last year.

3) Any editing advice is done on Photoshop for Photoshop. Now this was a major problem until recently as now Adobe are selling PS and their other products through cloud and monthly subscription fees instead of an all out single large payment. It does make it a little more approachable in terms of getting your foot in the door than it was in the past where many would be using elements or other programs so this is partly a lesser concern today - unless you've utterly no plans or ability sign up to the adobe services.

As a generalist view I'd say have a look at what's on the shelf and if you're a beginner you'll likely do well for a year or two.

Also get National Geographic - outstanding and inspiring photography over a broad range of subjects and situations as well as well written general articles.

I stopped getting subscriptions a long time ago.

The reason is that no one publication has a monopoly on articles which I, personally, will benefit from. I'll give a cursory perusal at the magazine stand and, if I see something that piques my interest, that's the magazine I'll buy. Sometimes I'll buy just one. There have been times I've bought four or five.

If you get a subscription, you're bound to that publication. Sure, you can buy others, but you're always going to get that one. If, by chance, you find that another one is better suited to you, you're stuck with the subscription...

I like Shutterbug & Outdoor Photography magazine. Just today in the mail I got an offer from Shutterbug; 1 year (12 issues) $15.00 or 2 years (24) for $20.00

Do you have your local city or county library card? In St, Louis City public library or county library websites, I can get e-magazine free of charge via Zinio. With Zinio, you can view the magazine via your computer, phone or tablet. For me, I just need to log in to my library site, browse the magazines and check them out. That will bring me to Zinio site and it will store them in my own Zinio library. From that point I can view them in any of your devices or computer.

Currently in our city and county library (their magazine gateway is the same, so your local library may use the same gateway) have Digital Photo, Photo Graphic, Popular Photography and Shutterbug. All of them are free of charge and are current. And the good thing is they will stay in your library and you do not need to return them.

Last edited:
Do you have your local city or county library card? In St, Louis City public library or county library websites, I can get e-magazine free of charge via Zinio. With Zinio, you can view the magazine via your computer, phone or tablet. For me, I just need to log in to my library site, browse the magazines and check them out. That will bring me to Zinio site and it will store them in my own Zinio library. From that point I can view them in any of your devices or computer.

Currently in our city and county library (their magazine gateway is the same, so your local library may use the same gateway) have Digital Photo, Photo Graphic, Popular Photography and Shutterbug. All of them are free of charge and are current. And the good thing is they will stay in your library and you do not need to return them.
very good post and very true. i like the thread as i was considering it. i get Smithsonian type magazines now but wanted to pick up a photo subscription. i don't like the library idea, least for me, because i kind of prefer to kick back and read a few minutes at a time at home. im not one for long reading periods but shorter intervals if it is within arms reach.

For the library e-magazine, you can read it anytime your prefer once it is in your Zinio library. I can still open the Discover magazine I checked out and downloaded back in Oct 2013 right now on my tablet.

Here is how the process flow

- Go to library website and click the e-magazine link
- That will redirect you do a e-magazine gateway. Choose the magazine you like to check out.
- The e-magazine will redirect you to Zinio site and add that e-magazine to your own Zinio library.
- Once it is in your Zinio library, then you can open the Zinio app in your tablet and tap on that magazine. (Tablet need to be online in order to download the magazine)
- That magazine will be stored in your tablet, you can read it any time your prefer even when you are on the plane.
- Since it is stored in your electronic device such as the tablet, you can read it again and again.

Hope that help.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Playboy is always a great go-to subscription.
And I always thought Moderators had higher standards. I am shocked............. I am appalled.....................I no longer have faith!!!

Can I borrow the July 2013 issue....Um..there's an "article" um yeah, that's it, an article I want to read.:blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back