Magazines

Warfarin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So yes this has been brought up but ages ago and things have changed alot. Besides Outdoor Photographer is there any good print magazines left?

I have been searching as well, but have been turned off by over 50% of the content being advertising. I grew up during the 60s where National Geo, Life and Look were the standards. I haven't found anything that meets their quality levels. The other reason I gave up is that there is a lot more really good content online for free.

I have been searching as well, but have been turned off by over 50% of the content being advertising. I grew up during the 60s where National Geo, Life and Look were the standards. I haven't found anything that meets their quality levels. The other reason I gave up is that there is a lot more really good content online for free.
I just hate reading from screens. My eyes get tired faster.

50% of the content is ads and a good part of the rest is shilling for the manufacturers. When is the last time you saw a magazine or on line guy say a piece of gear was crap, especially those with links that gives them kickbacks.

50% of the content is ads and a good part of the rest is shilling for the manufacturers. When is the last time you saw a magazine or on line guy say a piece of gear was crap, especially those with links that gives them kickbacks.
You are correct on that. I read a few different genres of magazines and the smoozing to advertisers is definitely worse then it used to be. But I'm still old fashioned and like a print copy. It sucks because more and more mags are going bye bye.

Yes, with the internet, they are like the old adage about afternoon newspapers, todays ads yesterdays news. The only one I get now is Professional Photographer because it comes with PPA membership. But even that is on line readable anywhere on my cell phone.

YEARS ago (1980's) I used to subscribe to Outdoor Photographer magazine. A few months ago I decided to try that again and, well, it is a different magazine altogether. The magazine itself is about 1/3 the thickness it used to be and now they push the trend of "conservation photography" which in itself is not bad.

Truthfully, I get more info from the internet.

Have you seen Time "magazine?" I get thicker brochures from car dealerships. Like newspapers, paper magazines are an anachronism. Like the fedora, the tie and the suit jacket. Some of us old farts like to hold a paper book, having done so for 60 or 70 years, but the younger generation that can't even write cursive, was raised on digital books and magazines. We are like our grandfathers with their pocket watches. Heck, those of us that still wear wristwatches are falling into that category. The times they are achangin. Get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand. B Dylan.

Have you seen Time "magazine?" I get thicker brochures from car dealerships. Like newspapers, paper magazines are an anachronism. Like the fedora, the tie and the suit jacket. Some of us old farts like to hold a paper book, having done so for 60 or 70 years, but the younger generation that can't even write cursive, was raised on digital books and magazines. We are like our grandfathers with their pocket watches. Heck, those of us that still wear wristwatches are falling into that category. The times they are achangin. Get out of the new one if you can't lend a hand. B Dylan.
I still carry a pocket watch :)

Even with the diminished page count, I still read OP. That said, it’s not often easy. The fonts, usually arial haven’t gotten so small and often dark on a dark background that I almost need a magnifying glass to read them. Of course, that’s not an issue with digital as long as we have fingers to spread.

The two magazines I had liked are both out of the UK.
I started purchasing issues at Barnes & Noble.

Black + White Photography
Black+White Photography - Cool, Creative and Contemporary

Practical Photography
But my googling just now shows it stopped being published on 02 June 2020 due to "the economic impact of the Covid 19 pandemic."

Published in the US is
Black & White
Black & White Magazine | For Collectors of Fine Photography

I have a stack of issues next to the bed that goes back maybe longer ago than 2017.
During the pandemic when the stores were closed I worked my way through all of them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back