Major differences between EOS 20D and Rebel XTI?

J Crew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What are the major differences between these two cameras? Pros and Cons between these two cameras only please. Thanks very much for your time and help.

- Jason

The 20D is a an older model, by a couple years but it's in a higher class than the XTi. The XTi has newer technology, like an anti-dust sensor. It also has more mega pixels, which is nice but certainly not a deal breaker.

The biggest differences are the actual bodies of the cameras. The XTi is designed to be light and small. It has a mostly plastic construction. The 20D has more metal in the body and is bigger and probably more robust. The layout of the controls is quite different. The 20D has a small info screen on the top, the XTi does not. The 20D also has the wonderful thumb wheel.

I suggest going to a store and holding both cameras in your hand. The 20D has been discontinued for some time but the 30D is very similar and should give you the same feel as a 20D would.

The 20D is a an older model, by a couple years but it's in a higher class than the XTi. The XTi has newer technology, like an anti-dust sensor. It also has more mega pixels, which is nice but certainly not a deal breaker.

The biggest differences are the actual bodies of the cameras. The XTi is designed to be light and small. It has a mostly plastic construction. The 20D has more metal in the body and is bigger and probably more robust. The layout of the controls is quite different. The 20D has a small info screen on the top, the XTi does not. The 20D also has the wonderful thumb wheel.

I suggest going to a store and holding both cameras in your hand. The 20D has been discontinued for some time but the 30D is very similar and should give you the same feel as a 20D would.

Thanks Big Mike for the info. I have the opportunity to purchase a used 20D w/ original lense paperwork for $620 shipped. Just having problems deciding between this or a brand new XTi like my Wife has. I thought the sensor in the 20D was better?... is that wrong? Just want to make the best decision when spending $600-$700 bucks. Thanks for any more help.

- Jason

J Crew go out to a store and hold both in your hands. I had the exact same problem when looking at the D70 / D200. I went, held both, and just realised the D200 would actually survive my trips through water, up the side of cliffs, in the -15deg i got overseas, and the 40+ i get at home. The simple fact is I chose the D200 for only it's construction and none of it's technical features.

does the 20D have spot metering?

I think the rebel's do not have it? But not sure here.

Could be an important feature.

The simple fact is I chose the D200 for only it's construction and none of it's technical features.

I totally agree that those are valid reasons to go for a physically more robust camera. Same with me and my current one. The two reasons to spend a lot of money where sturdyness and ful frame. I spend nights outdoors with that camera, also in not so moderate climates ;) And I take it to the mountains and through the mud ;)

does the 20D have spot metering?

I think the rebel's do not have it? But not sure here.

Could be an important feature.

Yes, the XTi does not have it... I thought maybe the 20D did. I'm going to try to look that up now, but if anyone knows please post. Thanks again and keep it coming.

- Jason

ps - is $620 good for the 20D or in your opinion, is that alittle high?

EDIT: A quick scan through google tells me they both lack spot metering.

Canon 20D also has 5frames per second which could be a big plus depending on what you shoot.

I believe that in that price bracket no other camera has anything faster than around 3fps.

Yes, the XTi does not have it... I thought maybe the 20D did. I'm going to try to look that up now, but if anyone knows please post. Thanks again and keep it coming.

- Jason

ps - is $620 good for the 20D or in your opinion, is that alittle high?

EDIT: A quick scan through google tells me they both lack spot metering.

20D does not have spot metering. 30D has it but a bit looser than the higher models and is single instead of multi spot.

Canon 20D also has 5frames per second which could be a big plus depending on what you shoot.

I believe that in that price bracket no other camera has anything faster than around 3fps.

Portrait, Objects, and eventually Weddings.

So is $620 a good buy for a used 20D?

I second (third? fourth?) getting your hands on them. The biggest reason that I got the 20D over teh XTi was the feel in my hand (also the reason I got the Elan7 when I bought my first good camera). Neither my wife nor I thought the XTi was comfortable to hold. We've both got fairly big hands. That said, my wife feels that the 20D is very heavy.

It should be mentioned that you can get battery grips for either camera. A battery grip gives the camera a much bigger area to hold onto, which is especially helpful for the smaller cameras like the XTi.

Well, I decided to get the 20D for $620 shipped. The seller is also sending 3 extra batteries (4 total), the kit lense, and some filters: 3 58 mm Tiffen filters (812 Warming filter, Circular polarizer, & UV filter) and one Quantaray Orange YA2 filter. With the extras and after alittle reading, I decided to get this 20D. I read that the 20D has less noise at higher ISO than the rebel... which was the final deciding factor. Thanks for the help everyone. I hope I made the right choice :)

- Jason

ps - My Wife is probably going to end up stealing this from me and then I'll be stuck with her XTi instead, lol... women.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back