MAJOR rookie needing feedback/advice

weeksking

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have thousands of film negative strips and want to scan them. Do I want to scan to my computer or a disk? I would like to scan them myself so I would like your feedback about what scanner to purchase. I also have slides that I want to scan but not as many. I am a picture freak who scrapbooks for myself and family and photos all over my home. I would like to be able to enhance and/or correct photos if needed. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to a recent thread on this same topic:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/film-discussion-q/336124-scanning-old-pictures-best-quality.html

I can't speak for anyone else, but this question has been asked so many times on this forum that I just don't have the heart to type out a fresh response anymore. Hopefully the previous thread I linked to will help. It is not the only discussion about scanners, just the most recent one. You should search through some of the past threads for more information.

For negatives I use a Nikon Coolscan 9000, they are still a little pricey even though they are no longer produced, Around $1200 on E-Bay. But if you have just 35mm, you can't go wrong with any Nikon film scanner. The Nikon Coolscan 5000 is another nice, 35mm only scanner. Or a Minolta Elite 5400, nice film scanner.

For negatives I use a Nikon Coolscan 9000, they are still a little pricey even though they are no longer produced, Around $1200 on E-Bay. But if you have just 35mm, you can't go wrong with any Nikon film scanner. The Nikon Coolscan 5000 is another nice, 35mm only scanner. Or a Minolta Elite 5400, nice film scanner.

The "only" problems now with Nikon are parts and service. They're really not supporting Coolscans much any longer.

The "only" problems now with Nikon are parts and service. They're really not supporting Coolscans much any longer.

For sure.....the Elite 5400 I use I had to get Vuescan software to make it work. Vuescan is a good scanner software if needed. I was able to download Nikon scanning software from thier web site.....for now anyway.

You could always get a Epson V600 or V700 flatbed scanner, but I've found the 35mm film scans from the V700 to be on the low end. But the Epson scanning software is user friendly and does have "color restore" function as well as many color, contrast etc... adjustment options.

Yeah I think there needs to be a sticky on this topic! since it keeps coming up. Whether you scan to your computer or disc you might need to think about storage and what would be archivally safe if these are photos you want to preserve.

Yeah I think there needs to be a sticky on this topic! since it keeps coming up. Whether you scan to your computer or disc you might need to think about storage and what would be archivally safe if these are photos you want to preserve.
Maybe the powers that be could make a film scanning section....???

Most reactions

Back