majoring in photography?

Do it if you have someone to help pays for bill but I don't think it is a good idea. The best way to take pictures is to learn it yourself ;]

I think it might depend on what you want to do in photography. I am a professional and I would say if you want to work for yourself, then maybe a major in business with a minor in photography. You should have a very good understanding of lighting and how to work the camera, but if you have that down...the business side would be extremely helpful. Otherwise, I think people will hire someone who has great images and can provide consistent results with or without a degree.

I started to do that but changed to digital media because when I looked more into majoring in photography, you have to know a lot about not only digital but you have to learn film and development first. so Its all personal likeness

double major if you are.
im majoring in photography and journalism.
or just do a minor in it.
have something to fall back on if you're not graduating from an Art University that guarantees jobs before and after graduation.

don't do it. photographers don't make much money. even professionals don't make a lot. so one year after you get your degree you will probably regret it and wish you majored in something that can be useful later on. besides photography imo is more of a hobby and why would you waste the money for that major when you can learn as you go and read books?

major in business and a minor in photography, or studio art its kinda self explanitory why you would have the business degree

According to Education Portal in 2002, the average annual salary of people employed as photographers was $24,040.

It's nice to have a degree from a photo school, but costs more in money and lost career time than it's worth. If you have what it takes you can teach yourself faster. If you don't have the eye, no schooling will teach it to you.

This is coming from

How to Become a Professional Photographer

Last edited:
My observation... is that a business degree is one of the most flexible studies one can pursue. It might not have the depth of some of studies but it sure has the breadth. I've seen it open many doors or opportunity. From what I've seen the past decade, people with a solid business background have faired much better in this economic downturn from those of us with a solid background in the computer field.

Also considering that many photographers are independent businessmen as well... its a good thing to learn and study. If photography is a core interest, I see no reason against incorporating into your course study as a minor... toss it up a bit.

I personally regret not incorporating business into my computer engineering study...

I think it might depend on what you want to do in photography. I am a professional and I would say if you want to work for yourself, then maybe a major in business with a minor in photography. ...

Seconded. I spent a good quarter century running high-end specialty camera stores that had a large customer base of true professional photographers (defined in this case as earning greater than 50% of their total family income via their photography). Many failed in the business and almost none because they were unskilled technically. Almost all failures were due to a lack of business skill. If you want to be an independent studio photographer you must have excellent business skills to survive.

Business skill can be learned "on the streets", but only when you have a day job to support your side line photo business while you learn. This takes years, often decades, to do.

If you want to be an artist then an art school photo program can be good. The training will do nothing to feed you for the rest of your life, but could do much to bring out what artistic ability you have.

Do what you love so in 20 years theres no regrets. What you learn in your twenties finds you joy in your thirties, success in your 40's, comfort in your 50's and satisfaction in your retirement.
My only suggestion is to broaden your scope to maybe graphic artistry and a specialty in the photography side of the work. just an opinion.
vtf

I started to do that but changed to digital media because when I looked more into majoring in photography, you have to know a lot about not only digital but you have to learn film and development first. so Its all personal likeness

Where did you go to college?

Most reactions

Back