Majority of Dad's clients will not respond after their photos are delivered

I have read a number of threads addressing this issue on various photo forums over the past 10 years, and YES, ZERO response, ZERO acknowledgement is exceptionally common when images are delivered via e-mail or web-download in the USA, and also in Europe, and in the UK. People get the photos, and are so damned lazy and ill-mannered that they typically give NO response. Not even a quick tap on the ,"REPLY TO" button, and "Hey, we got the px, thxs! Sad, but typical.

I'd say that this is pretty typical of any product that is downloaded or delivered by email - not just photography.

Just the first example that comes to mind - you just downloaded a really great app for your phone. How often do you take the time to write a review of it, or send the dev team an email thanking them for their hard work? I'd say that the percentage of people who will write the review is less than 5%, and the people who will thank the dev team (or give them a donation) even smaller.

Why does your dad expect a response or feedback? It is a business transaction and it is finished. Do you email Amazon customer service to say 'thanks' after you get a delivery? It is nice when a client says 'thanks', but honestly I don't expect it in the slightest.

Treat and price the custom images you make like the luxury purchase they are. Treat the customer like a high roller too, and you'll get a lot of "Thank You".

Sell the sizzle, not the steak.

whenever it is even remotely humanly possible, we deliver ALL finished products to clients in person. It doesn't matter if it is a single 8x10 picture, images on a disk, or an album. Invite them over, go to them, meet them somewhere. go over the product, talk to them about it, get their feedback, reminisces about the event. Even though you have already gotten their business, delivering the final product in person helps build an extra bit of rapport with the client and shows them that they matter to you even after you have their money and the work is done. it makes the completion of the business more personal, and I think it gives clients a good feeling. I could be wrong though, that's just how we do it. your mileage may vary.

If a phototog did this for me I would be blown away and tell everybody I know each time I showed of the photos this is a great idea!!!

In days of yore (before the Internet), it was standard operating procedure.

To many retail photographers today don't know how to run a business, sell their products, or provide exemplary customer service.

Don't think this would bother me if I ever wanted to be in business. I work a job that's often thankless.. doesn't really matter to me. :)

Seldom do I get thanks.
Try working for a county government; especially public safety - very few thanks and a lot of people that were pissed off long before they got to you!

For the OP - as a consumer/customer, it's very nice to get some special attention once in a while - personal service, a vendor/sales person that remembers your name. These little things will tend to make me think about that company the next time I want or need something.

Seldom do I get thanks.
Try working for a county government; especially public safety - very few thanks and a lot of people that were pissed off long before they got to you!

For the OP - as a consumer/customer, it's very nice to get some special attention once in a while - personal service, a vendor/sales person that remembers your name. These little things will tend to make me think about that company the next time I want or need something.

Such is the nature of that business.. hehehe. They complain about you when you're there and when you're not there. After a while you just get used to it and realize that their ignorant rants and lack of thanks has nothing to do with how effective you are at your job. I think the lack of thanks in photography can be looked at the same way... I think MY question would be, have any of the clients returned to the OP's dad for work? A returning client IS thanks.

I think what your Dad is having a problem with is an experience problem.

I want to imagine that you've gone to Tiffany's to pick out a necklace for your wife or daughter or whoever. You've planned out it and you know she's going to LOVE it. You're excited. You've had an excellent experience shopping with a knowledgable and well-dressed professional. When you find the perfect bit of jewelry the salesperson packages it in that signature Robins Egg Blue box dated all the way back to 1837. As soon as your loved one sees that box she knows what it is and what's inside.

Now image you've had the same experience except when you get to the counter they put your purchase, something that is so special and means so much to you, in a little plastic baggy. Theyvre just interrupted the experience you were having. You can't give that plastic baggy to your loved one as-is. So now it's turned from a Tiffany's Necklace into just a necklace in a box you picked out and wow it's from Tiffany's, that's pretty cool.

Assuming your Dad has given his clients a good photographic experience - they're excited for their photos, those photos MEAN something to them and their family - his problem is with the delivery. He's not continuing that customer experience all the way from beginning to end. He's slamming on the breaks.

Opening a zip file or downloading images on a website isn't very exciting. It's impersonal, disconnected, and people do it every day. Imagine the wedding photographer who does a wedding and 5 weeks later drops the photos into a folder and e-mails it. Sure the photos are great, but where's the experience?

Now imagine the luxury, high end wedding photographer who has a client sitting, an engagement session, sends champagne the night before the wedding, and a custom anniversary card a year later - all to the surprise of the bride and groom. That photographer has just extended that customer experience to a year or more. The photos are the same, it's the experience that's completely different. I think what your Dad is having a problem with is an experience problem.

I want to imagine that you've gone to Tiffany's to pick out a necklace for your wife or daughter or whoever. You've planned out it and you know she's going to LOVE it. You're excited. You've had an excellent experience shopping with a knowledgable and well-dressed professional. When you find the perfect bit of jewelry the salesperson packages it in that signature Robins Egg Blue box dated all the way back to 1837. As soon as your loved one sees that box she knows what it is and what's inside.

Now image you've had the same experience except when you get to the counter they put your purchase, something that is so special and means so much to you, in a little plastic baggy. Theyvre just interrupted the experience you were having. You can't give that plastic baggy to your loved one as-is. So now it's turned from a Tiffany's Necklace into just a necklace in a box you picked out and wow it's from Tiffany's, that's pretty cool.

Assuming your Dad has given his clients a good photographic experience - they're excited for their photos, those photos MEAN something to them and their family - his problem is with the delivery. He's not continuing that customer experience all the way from beginning to end. He's slamming on the breaks.

Opening a zip file or downloading images on a website isn't very exciting. It's impersonal, disconnected, and people do it every day. Imagine the wedding photographer who does a wedding and 5 weeks later drops the photos into a folder and e-mails it. Sure the photos are great, but where's the experience?

Now imagine the luxury, high end wedding photographer who has a client sitting, an engagement session, sends champagne the night before the wedding, and a custom anniversary card a year later - all to the surprise of the bride and groom. That photographer has just extended that customer experience to a year or more. The photos are the same, it's the experience that's completely different.

In my limited photography experience, I've encountered the same thing. The last two years I've done the studio and recital photos for a local dance studio. About 80 kids...something like 70 parents (they are the customers). I DO receive compliments in person when they see me at the dance studio, but they are almost always parents that know me (my daughter dances there).
The other way I receive feedback is when I post images on the dance studios FaceBook page. I then receive quite a few compliments. And typically, it is those posts that have the broadest reach (according to FB). I've received a few direct emails...a handful.

Here's what's interesting and, I think, indicative of todays society. Part of my sales are 'online credits' (on SmugMug). I still have three clients that have not used there credit from last year! And for this year, there are six, so far, that have not used them and it's been about 2 months.
People are simply too busy to be bothered anymore, especially with sending a thank you for a purchase.

My basic rule of thumb is a simple one: If I don't hear back from a client after delivering the product, all is well, and I move on to the next one...

Most reactions

Back