Making a name for yourself and having a business "name"

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So recently, my roommate asked me if I wanted to start a photography business. He has no photo background but is a business student. He said I would obviously be the photographer and he wants to help with clients, booking, promoting and help on shoots.

Now I know there is a lot more than just starting up a business, but I am having trouble deciding what to call it. I want to build a name for myself but if I call it "tylerfphotography" I feel selfish and don't want home to feel unnoticed I that makes sense.

Would it be weird to have a business as well as a personal thing? Like say I have a website for my business as well as a website for me to show my personal portfolio.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense lol

Is it really necessary to have a partner? A lot goes into having a business partner, and it is usually not the best idea to get into business ventures with friends or family. Unless he is going to be bringing a ton more work for you I would do it all yourself if possible. He doesn't even have photog experience and I don't think there is that much business stuff to do that you couldn't handle it yourself. Just my two cents (and I was a business major haha).

Well I mean we are living together so why not? I could definitely use help on shoots and stuff. Idk. Just thought it would be more fun and he's a lot more organize than I so it would be nice to have that lol

Partnerships dissolve...

You should call the business what YOU want.

Starting a photography business with an employee is going to be tough. You just doubled the $$$ going out for salaries, making your entry level pricing higher than those in the same league. You will need to check into this, but I believe having an employee changes how you file taxes, and how payroll taxes are collected. You will have to come up with a partnership contract, with an exit strategy, sorta like a prenup. If you go into this as a partnership, rather than you employing your friend, there are expectations that the partner invests in the business in some way, and will expect a return on this investment. If you wish to dissolve the partnership, you may owe him/her $$$.

Business isn't a game to be played lightly. Business partnerships can be dificult, and often destroy friendships.

As a business owner, and sole proprietor, I have to ask you to really think about why you can't handle starting this business up, and run it yourself?
As you grow, you can hire. But unless you are doing this full time right now, I don't see why you have any need for a "partner".

This isn't building a tree fort.

I forgot to add, about you claiming poor organizational skills...

Fix it!
You are teaching yourself photography, aren't you? Why do you think you don't have to teach yourself business skills, such as organization and planning?
If you want a wake up call, get some business plan software and create your business plan. I promise you, you will be scratching your head in no time.
Writing a business plan will teach you a whole lot you don't know about business, and if you are a "go getter" you can fix that.

You are young, and I always recommend you get at least five years real world work experience in your field before you start your own business.
Trust me. Working for yourself is one of the most rewarding things you can do, but it is also frustrating, stressful, and mentally draining at times.
You need that real world work experience to have some idea of what to expect. You need it to see how other people handle situations. You need it to find what works, what doesn't, and what you could do better. Without it, you will always be running to someone for help. You will run to someone with experience!

I've tried working within a group of photographers years ago, starting up our own sports agency, we all had skills in different sports, with a solid core of clients that we all brought to the table, we sat down figured out splits and who got what, one guy was going to be doing all the invoicing and web site work, so he got a bigger spilt. What ended up happening was that my clients wanted to work with me, and their clients wanted to work with them, so we ended up shooting events in each others home towns, defeating the purpose of having a group across the country that could cut travel expences. It didn't end up working as one guy was shooting more than the others, and we finally realized that we weren't making anymore or less money than before. It's tough working with another person.

Like Bitter said, put in more time, get experience on your own and if you need some business help talk to your buddy.

Everything Bitter & Imagemaker46 said is on target.

If he really wants to be part of your business, let him assist you during shoots. It's always nice to have an extra hand and that way it's still your business.

<---------is now Michael Anthony Photography. Do not do the partner thing. Financially, it does not make sense. You will be the talent and eventually, if the biz goes well, you can hire someone to do the clerical work.

Or just hire him as a contractor. He technically won't be an employee and you won't need all the insurance and extra paperwork that comes with having employees.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back