Making A Simple Logo, Does This Work?

TheNevadanStig

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonlighthallphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, my shoot this weekend has ended up opening some doors for me, and I have some people that want me to send some sample images. The web being the web, and from the stories I've heard, I decided maybe it was time to do a logo/watermark. The problem is I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING :confused: I had to watch a tutorial just to freaking figure out how to add text in PS CC. Then another on how to add the freaking thing to pictures.

This is the best I could come up with:
$Logo.jpg

On Picture:
Demo.jpg

I prefer transparent backgrounds. That's not going to go well with a low-key image.

I prefer transparent backgrounds. That's not going to go well with a low-key image.

I tried, I can't figure out how to make it transparent.
You can't if you're saving to jpeg. You need to save it as a PNG file. When you create a new image in Ps it should start with a transparent image.

If you use Lr you can create the watermark, save it as a .PNG file, then create a watermark template in Lr. Just open the watermark dialog, select the watermark file, then tell Lr where to place it, how large, and at what opacity. Then add the watermark preset to your export preset. All done automatically. ;)

Here's a screengrab of the watermark editor in Lr, just in case it'll help:

Last edited:
I would say say pick another font on the word photography. The brush script font is over used and a bit cheesy.

Focus > Audience > Logo
Figure out what your focus is, recognize who your audience is, and cater your logo to that audience (and therefore your focus). For example, I am a sports photographer, and my logo is representative of that:

zkzSaYm.png

If you want a basic watermark, then " ©2014 Jason Lighthall " would work just fine. You can of course play with typography to create a text based "logo", but in that instance font choice is super important and should still cater to your audience. If you are not super specialized (ONLY a nature, portrait, wedding photographer, etc) then I would hold back on trying to create a logo and stick with a copyright watermark. That's just my two cents :sexywink:

Edit: Brief elaboration: What I mean to say is that if you create a "logo" in a certain style, it creates a brand association that can either compliment of clash with your work. I wouldn't create a cursive text based logo as a sports photographer, I would want to appeal to sports fans, athletes, and the notion of action with recognizable symbols / colorways.

tl;dnr: "Logo" represents a brand targeted at an audience, if this is not the intention then you may be better suited with a simple copyright watermark. Logo is different than a watermark.

Last edited:
Also a sports photographer ... this is my logo
$Logo 296px.jpg
The blue/orange/white is carried throughout my website.
For situations that can't cope with gradients, I use solid colours for each element.

My WATERMARK however is just my website address

Last edited:
there's so much you can do visually as a "logo" with the words: light hall.

I am a huge fan of simple text based logos.

I would say I'm slightly specialized. I will be doing sports (mostly outdoors/alt type sports), motorsports, and wildlife. As for "so much" I can do with my name, I'm drawing blanks. Honestly feel like there is no hope for me creating a graphic type logo, I spent nearly two hours on the texts ones I have now.

your logo needs a mustache. Just sayin...
But my beard is better than a simple mustache ;)

I would say I'm slightly specialized. I will be doing sports (mostly outdoors/alt type sports), motorsports, and wildlife. As for "so much" I can do with my name, I'm drawing blanks. Honestly feel like there is no hope for me creating a graphic type logo, I spent nearly two hours on the texts ones I have now.

your logo needs a mustache. Just sayin...
But my beard is better than a simple mustache ;)

yea, I miss mine. Cant have beards at work.

$beard.jpg$beard1.jpg

Most reactions

Back