"Making" fog

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Possible to use a cloud to 'make' a picture foggy? One layer of 'regular' shot, and another layer of a cloud pic.

Here was a stab I took to test this theory. Clone stamped out the shadow, and set the cloud opacity at 47%. Is there a better way, or simply better technique needed?
fog goose_small.jpg

Original:
MJK_1190 small.jpg

I've been struggling with this and haven't found a solution that I like yet. To me fog has character - color, shadow, density, etc. that a single layer won't quite show. The best results I've had so far (not perfect) are to use a combination of the various "fog brushes" I've found on the web. I can arrange these on multiple layers, changing the colors, densities, until I've created the look I want.

You *could* use software for 3d modeling like 3DS max and make the image your environment background and then add in atmospheric gizmos and create the fog there. It will be 3 dimensional and quite realistic.

LOng time ago when I was playing with Photoshop I found that the 'secret to putting something in fog was to put three or four laayers of the cloud over the main layer. Then adjust by opacity and masking so as to get depth and texture to the fog. Those are the characteristics that natural fog gives, and I was unable, and could not find anyone else who could get that effect with a single layer. g'luck. (my gawd it has been years and years since I did that stuff. Don't even run PS anymore (have CS3, but use Elements 14 when I absolutely have to do something PS like. Usually if one of my pictures requires a PS work over I toss it out! ;)

LOng time ago when I was playing with Photoshop I found that the 'secret to putting something in fog was to put three or four laayers of the cloud over the main layer. Then adjust by opacity and masking so as to get depth and texture to the fog. Those are the characteristics that natural fog gives, and I was unable, and could not find anyone else who could get that effect with a single layer. g'luck. (my gawd it has been years and years since I did that stuff. Don't even run PS anymore (have CS3, but use Elements 14 when I absolutely have to do something PS like. Usually if one of my pictures requires a PS work over I toss it out! ;)

Looks like we sort of stumbled on the same idea. As I said earlier though, I found that custom "fog" brushes allow me greater flexibility of changes between layers.

Looks like we sort of stumbled on the same idea. As I said earlier though, I found that custom "fog" brushes allow me greater flexibility of changes between layers.

Sounds right. I don't remember fog brushes being around 9-10 years ago. maybe were I just didn't see them....or they were not free. ;)

@chuasam I actually have some of the brushes from this site. The most difficult part for me still is getting the depth where it looks right.

I see one major problem amongst most of the people replyng to this. The do not recognize, or maybe know that there are several quite different fogs, How they 'look' varies greatly. Here is a NatGEO lin with a very short description of the common ones and a picture illustrating each. Find the type fog that is correct for the conditions shown in your picture then try and duplicate the look on a separate layer.
fog

The do not recognize, or maybe know that there are several quite different fogs, How they 'look' varies greatly.

Unlike an image that contains information that can be manipulated, creating fog requires a reliance on being able to transfer the brain image to a real image. For me, transferring that random information bouncing around in there is a little difficult. LOL

Here's the problem.
if a fog like the one if your photo existed...we are so f'cked!
Fog only shows when photographing relatively distant things.
Also, Fog makes light really soft. Catchlights would look very different.
Making it look foggy isn't a simple matter of drawing in fog patches.

Most reactions

Back