Making money from Photography

merlinphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

Im new here, just found the site today, So hello
im after some advice from those in the business, Ive been an amateur photograper for years and ive just started looking into the possibility of actually making some money from my pictures. A couple of weeks ago discovered some sites that buy and sell photos. Ive signed up with shutterstock and have made about 7 dollers in a week. I have only upload 20 of my pictures..

I was wondering if anybody knew of any more sites like this because at this rate of sales it could make a good second income. the link to my stuff on shutterstock is below if ur interested.

Doug

http://www.shutterstock.com/?rid=55429

The major downside with sites like these is that you have little idea who has purchased your shot, what they'll use it for how many times they'll use it, or where they'll use it.

It then means that when a company wants to license your shot and pay you a proper rate for its use you cannot guarantee any sort of exclusive use. Nor would the company be impressed to find out they paid hundreds of pounds for a shot that someone else downloaded for a few pence. Just think how much better it would be if you were paid everytime your shot appeared in an ad. With royalty free shots you sign away any further advances.

I'm not trying to pour water on any sort of money making from photography...well done :D . But if your shots are really good then you're actually doing yourself out of a significant amount of money.

Merlinphoto
I'd point out that I've been registered on a stock photography website where thge shots are not royalty free. That means that the purchaser has to pay an appropriate fee for the usage they specify. If they exceed their agreed use they can be sued for breach of copyright etc.
I've had one sale from around 80 shots and it was for 125Euros....or £85. The agency takes 20% (which is very low) and i get the rest.
I reckon it would take over 400 sales on your site to achieve the same money and I'd be in a better position to resell my shot again.

Darich, I would be interested to know what site your talking about.

Doug

merlinphoto said:
Darich, I would be interested to know what site your talking about.

Doug

Doug - You've maybe found the site by now as it's been mentioned a couple of times in other threads here.
It's photographers direct.com
Since my one sale i've been contacted by someone else for a poster of one of my shots. It's not only companies who use the site - individuals use it too and can request the use of images for posters etc..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back