Making money with photography

phoenix83

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was wondering what are the ways other photographers are making money with their photography would like to turn my hobby into a full time career but looking for any and all ways of making income with it any feed back will help thanks in advance

Having your own ideas is a good place to start, it's not a career choice I would make at this time as digital has created a monster in the pro arena. H

you can sell your pro photo albums on lulu, or separate images on deviantart pro.

the internet is a huge market for this these days :mrgreen:

The money is in either retail or commercial photography.

Retail photography is doing portraiture for individuals or shooting events:
Weddings, families, kids, high school seniors, etc. This is the area most new photographers are entering and it's starting to get crowded.

Commercial is shooting products, corporate headshots, annual reports, and brochures. Shooting advertising and fashion. Commercial is being eroded by the explosion of stock images. This has always been a really competitive segment and you often don't get paid until 30 to 45 days after a shoot, meaning you have to front at least some of the shoot costs.

Doing any other types of photography like landscapes or fine art make it really tough to make a full time income if you don't already have an established clientel or gallery network.

For some other outlets, magazines, greeting card/calendar companies, etc, pick up a copy of Photographers Market.

Stock, microstock, fine art, portraits, commercial. There are many ways to make money with photography, but you need to find a way that calls to you. There's a lot of work involved, so it helps if you have passion for what you do.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back