Making the best of a disappointing beach sunset

daggah

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First non-portrait (puppy or person) picture in a while. I was down in Yokosuka, Japan for a photoshoot, and thought I'd check out Zushi Beach, which is pretty close by. The clouds and weather weren't cooperating with me, with a low-lying hazy cloud formation that hid the sun later on into the sunset. Also, the beach itself is just not that great with grayish sand, and very little in the way of foreground interest. But I did like this shot I came back with:

Zushi Beach
by davidgevert, on Flickr

Id be happy with that shot... But, I really like Japan so, I'd be happy with any Sunset shot I got there.

The sun is nice, it's peeking from behind the clouds. You should use the healing brush on the spots from the sun on the sides of the logs. I like the composition, maybe you can tweak the colors. Much better sunset than I get in this city. We don't have golden hours, we had lead hours.

I actually like flare personally, so I tend to leave it in.

I was stationed at Osan in Pyongtaek before, so I know what you mean about South Korea. This sunset over Seoul was nowhere near as vivid in person:

The Sun Sets over Seoul

My sister is at Atsugi NAF so I got to visit that area in March. Probably at bit warmer now. I look forward to seeing your photo shoot from there.

I actually like flare personally, so I tend to leave it in.

I was stationed at Osan in Pyongtaek before, so I know what you mean about South Korea. This sunset over Seoul was nowhere near as vivid in person:

The Sun Sets over Seoul

First, that's a fine cityscape and sunset. I particularly love the color reflected in the river.

Second, on your initial shot...several tips:
--I was always taught that never shoot a sunrise or sunset just for the sunrise or sunset. Make it a good shot even if it was shot with the sun higher in the sky. IOW, make it a great shot that also happens to have a lovely sunrise or sunset. Think of it this way...look to shoot great compositions...and then incorporate the sunrise or sunset.
--When weather doesn't cooperate, get creative. Put the camera on a tripod and shoot an extended exposure so the water turns in to a fog/blur. Or look for the sun reflecting in the water. Look at the shadows created by the low sun...particularly effective with sand dunes or fences. Look for animals which will often come out to feed/drink/shallow water at sunrise or sunset on a beach or lake...it's good feeding time for them. Shoot portraits of anyone with you b/c that lovely golden hour light is very flattering. You can take any of these ideas and use them to salvage a lousy sunset so instead it's a great portrait or animal shot and "hey, there's a sunset going on too!".

This could have been a beautiful shot if you want just the sunset and the beach, just show those. My eyes is wandering backwards and towards your beautiful sunset shot to the log on the beach. If you can clone that one out it might look better. (I am guessing...but it you want to give it chance to remove it in your edit, it is up to you...)

The other alternative is that your shot badly needed a human element to it to complete a story. A sillouette maybe or someone sitting down on that log...looking out to the sea...a couple walking near the water with a dog (or without)...

I am a proponent of story telling in a photograph...or even just an intro to the shots being taken and uploaded in a group. At least we (I) have an idea of what is really going on, what you were thinking when you took that shot...but then it is just me and my opinions. YMMV or others too for that matter.

This could have been a beautiful shot if you want just the sunset and the beach, just show those. My eyes is wandering backwards and towards your beautiful sunset shot to the log on the beach. If you can clone that one out it might look better. (I am guessing...but it you want to give it chance to remove it in your edit, it is up to you...)

The other alternative is that your shot badly needed a human element to it to complete a story. A sillouette maybe or someone sitting down on that log...looking out to the sea...a couple walking near the water with a dog (or without)...

I am a proponent of story telling in a photograph...or even just an intro to the shots being taken and uploaded in a group. At least we (I) have an idea of what is really going on, what you were thinking when you took that shot...but then it is just me and my opinions. YMMV or others too for that matter.

I agree with pretty much all that's said here. A human element would have been a good angle. Or a dog. "Something". But the fact is, we often find ourselves with no such possibilities, and we use...a log...or whatever really *is there*. I go to the beach fairly often in the warmer months, and yeah, a lot of times the sunset is a disappointment, at least around here, where many beaches are virtually abandoned at sunset, and there really is very little except ocean waves, clouds, and a sun-ball. I guess this month I've shot two weekend sunsets, and one in late April, and none were really "awesome"...but, you know...you do whatcha' can!

I LIKE the small flares...those remind me that there's a real LENS making the image...I kind of LIKE small flares, or sometimes, even massive ones.

Hmm...the log was my attempt to find a bit of foreground interest.

Hmm...the log was my attempt to find a bit of foreground interest.
In my mind's eyes, the log is a bit too prominent that my eyes keeps going back to it instead of seeing the beauty of your image without out it. Maybe you should had changed the angle of the shot? Just thinking out loud. This is your photo, you should do what you want with it and be happy. It is actually a nice shot of a beautiful place. Maybe you should have brought your wife to contemplate on the log or one of your kids....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back