mblanton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and I just won a ebay auction for some used Minolta equipment. I got 2 bodies a SRT201 and SR-7; I also got 5 lenses (I'll post focal lengths after I receive them), 2 flashes, and 2 handheld light meters. I can't wait to check everything out and start shooting some film/slides.

I got into photography when I was 10, and began shooting my scoutmaster's Nikon F2A. By the time I was 14 I'd mowed enough grass to purchase my first 35mm camera (a Minolta X-370). That camera became an extension of my right arm and I became the editor of my high school yearbook and a stringer for the local newspaper. I owned that camera for about 15 years before finally parting with it. During my college years I bought a Mamiya C330s TLR medium format camera, which I used to shoot portraits and weddings. In 2003 I went digital and purchased a Canon 10D outfit, which I'm still shooting today.

Lately I've been itching to get my hands on a roll of film, so I started watching ebay auctions and this morning I finally bid...and won. I realize that film has changed and some models are not available any more. I generally shot fuji print and slide film...I did use some kodak vps and tri-x.

What are the top models of film currently on the market and where do you buy them? Where do you develop and print?

Thanks for the info and I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Mike

Hi Matt,

That was cool. I like the sound of the 50's black and white film. Just one question, where are they located....in the UK???

Mike

Hi Matt,

That was cool. I like the sound of the 50's black and white film. Just one question, where are they located....in the UK???

Mike

Yes they are in the UK. However, a quick Google search should return suppliers in the USA. I believe Freestyle is a good supplier in the USA and has a wide choice of films, papers, darkroom accessories...

Hi Mike

Yea. I think the factory who makes the films is in Zagreb. Which is like Yugoslavia i think. Hope you find some good films someplace. Obviously there is always Ilford i think, still around. But you'd know all about that already having shot B&W for years
and years!!

Best,
Matt

Freestyle is #1 in the USA for most anything film-photo related. In addition
to most brands of film they also have their own "Arista" brand (which is really
their generic label for various name brand films that they offer at lower
cost).

Thanks for the info about freestyle. I bookmarked their site and ordered a catalog. The Adox b&w film sounds great, but I'm not prepared to process my own film at this time. What about the C-41 process films? Are their any good b&w films available?

Mike

My favorite films are:
B/W - ilford hp5, tri-x looks similar
Color - it varies, kodak portra 160 or 400 depends on the light, Fuji 800z when it's really dark out
I haven't really tried any slide films

I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from Freestyle. (just walked there Saturday) They will definitely have anything you need.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back