Making your own backdrop

becky323

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the best way to build my own backdrop. I have read about using PVC pipes to build the stand. Anyone do this? Also, I am debating if I should be using muslin or paper for my backdrop. Any opinions? I want the background as clean and sharp as possible so I am leaning toward paper. I am essentially looking for the best material to use to create a stark white or black background. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
:flower:

The best thing to do is buy a roll of proper background paper like Colorama.
Polar White is best for a plain background.
As it's on a roll you can hang it from the ceiling using string and hooks.
Alternatively buy two cheap lighting stands and use those.

I've seen awesome results with getting a white sheet rolling it up into a ball and tieing it off with some rope and dunking the thing in some cloths dye. The rolling into a ball will cause the die to make nice patterns on the backdrop. There's a lot of this on the http://www.diyphotography.net/ blog.

For a black backdrop, get some black velour or velvet from a fabric store (like JoAnn Fabrics). An alternative I used this weekend when photographing some day lilies was to use my wife's black velour dress as a backdrop.

This weekend I was planning on using just a plain white sheet, making sure there are no folds or creases of course, and hanging it from the ceiling. Any thoughts on this method?

Works for me.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Now to figure out some lighting just as simple.

Most reactions

Back