Making your own DSLR insert for a messenger bag.

sam_franklin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
samjfranklin.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum!
I'm looking to buy my nikon d5100 just before I go on a school trip to Munich! (Is the D5100 good for a beginner camera?)
As I'm spending all my money on the camera I won't have money for a case (might be able to scrounge off my parents!) but I've been looking into making an insert for a messenger bag that I have. I was wondering if you had any good tutorials to look at about making one or a good budget camera bag for me to take with me on an airline.

Thanks in advance :)

If you don't have too much equipment, you could just keep it in the box it came in and put the box in the bag. You can buy blocks of foam and make your own cut outs.

The craft stores here sell big sheets of soft foam in different thicknesses - 1/2 inch up to 2 or 3 inches thick. They'll even cut it down for you if you don't need a sheetrock-size piece. You could cut some to fit, if you're feeling extra crafty you could sew up some fabric covers for them & make it look nice.

I recommend one of those inexpensive neoprene slip-over camera skins. You can get it from ebay for about the price of making your own foam inserts. It protects the camera from scuffs in the bag and also protects it while you are carrying it around your neck since it is made for the strap to come out both sides. I used one for my D90 for one month in Guatelmala and it worked very well inside a normal messenger bag.

I recommend one of those inexpensive neoprene slip-over camera skins. You can get it from ebay for about the price of making your own foam inserts. It protects the camera from scuffs in the bag and also protects it while you are carrying it around your neck since it is made for the strap to come out both sides. I used one for my D90 for one month in Guatelmala and it worked very well inside a normal messenger bag.
I just had a look and these seem like a good option, my only query is the level of protection because they're soft cases? Or am I just being over-cautious?

They won't protect your camera from a drop but are pretty good with the normal bumps and thumps that happen with carry-on luggage. I settled on an Op-tech model from Adorama that was a bit pricier but it did a great job on my camera during some pretty hard bumps against walls, bus seats, little kids, etc. on my travels.

In all honesty, keep your lens cap on and keep the LCD cover that comes with the camera on, and nothing will happen to it in your bag.

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum!
I'm looking to buy my nikon d5100 just before I go on a school trip to Munich! (Is the D5100 good for a beginner camera?)
As I'm spending all my money on the camera I won't have money for a case (might be able to scrounge off my parents!) but I've been looking into making an insert for a messenger bag that I have. I was wondering if you had any good tutorials to look at about making one or a good budget camera bag for me to take with me on an airline.

Thanks in advance :)
or this: Tenba Pro Digital 2 Photo Insert 638-251 B&H Photo Video
not to shabby on price as well

Most reactions

Back