Mamiya 645 or Mamiya Rb 67 Pro S

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
need help buying a mamiya camera. I am in doubt of a Mamiya 645 with two lenses, one 80 mm and one 105 mm, motor drive two backs, original manual, and bag all for $ 550. the other is a mamiya RB67 pro s, with a 115 mm lens, but so that, for the same price. which of the two options you guys indicate me? Thank you.

Hi Marcelo, these are two very different cameras.

The 645 is quite a bit smaller (in how it feels certainly) and has a negative that resembles 35mm.

The RB feels to be a beast of a thing until you get used to it then it becomes only big.

The lenses for both are good to excellent performers (if you want more than me just saying that the internet is full of reviews for both systems) so it really boils down to what/how you want to shoot.

The 645 for holding and shooting much like a 35mm or the RB67 if you don't mind using a tripod.

The RB does have one thing over the 645 though, it is a bellows focus camera so you can do macro with any lens you have on it.

One thing though, the RB for $550 seem very high to me and I'm thinking that if the 645 is in good shape it is the better deal.

A lot depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it. Another point Mike didn't mention in favour of the RB is the fact that it uses leaf-shutter lenses allowing you to sync flash at higher speeds and that the "RB" stands for "revolving back" meaning that you can switch from landscape to portrait orientation simply by rotating the film back, without the need to move the camera body. That said, IMO, the 645 is an easier and more versatile system with a wide range of reasonably priced accessories and lenses easily available.

Depends on which Mamiya 645. The old, metal-body version is now ancient and worth less than half the 550 asking price, even with the 80mm and 150mm--the most commonly available lenses. The later Super/Pro/and ProTL bodies are preferable simply for being newer. They also have film backs that allow for mid-roll film changes with another back. The old Mamiya 645 uses inserts only, so no film changes. Still. even if it's a newer model, 550 is probably 100 bucks over--at least.

The RB67 Pro S is less portable than the Mamiya but not as awkward as many who've never shot one claim it is. Suspect it has a 90mm or 127mm lens since there's no 115mm lens for the RB series. You've left off details about this outfit but I'd say with a single lens, a WLF and a 120 back it's worth about half what the seller wants.

I have been using Mamiya 645 for some time. Yesterday I received a Mamya RB67 Pro S with four lenses, 65mm, 90mm, 127mm & 180mm along with a grip, some filters and three film backs. I have shot 1 roll of 120 B&W

The 645 1000s with 40mm on the left, and the RB67 with 65mm right.
DSC_0019 RS.jpg

Both cameras are a bit difficult to hand hold. Adding a grip makes either camera much more manageable.
DSC_0022RS.jpg

The same grip fits both cameras.

The 645 is simpler in use. Winding the film cocks the shutter, so it is meter, focus and shoot.

The 67 has a film wind lever and a shutter cocking lever. Both have to be operated to take a photo. As the bellows is extended, the exposure has to be increased by 1/2 to 1 stop. There is a scale on the camera for reference. Lens and film back installation are more complicated. Download PDF files of the manuals and keep them on your phone or some portable reader.

The larger image means more film and processing. DIY developing is cost effective. For a small initial investment you can process B&W as well as color film.

I hope this helps,

Phil

One of the many reasons the newer Mamiya 645 is preferable: ergonomics. With a power winder grip, the Super/Pro/ProTL is actually hand-holdable, unlike the oldie. A WLF on either isn't practical for anything other than landscape-oriented shots.

One of the many reasons the newer Mamiya 645 is preferable: ergonomics. With a power winder grip, the Super/Pro/ProTL is actually hand-holdable, unlike the oldie. A WLF on either isn't practical for anything other than landscape-oriented shots.

The Super is quite ergonomic, really. Not unlike holding a DSLR. Of the two, I'd choose the 645 due to the relatively inexpensive lenses and accessories. This is mine, complete with power winder.

Mamiya 645 by longm1985, on Flickr

The 645 is quite a bit smaller (in how it feels certainly) and has a negative that resembles 35mm.

The RB feels to be a beast of a thing until you get used to it then it becomes only big.

The lenses for both are good to excellent performers (if you want more than me just saying that the internet is full of reviews for both systems) so it really boils down to what/how you want to shoot.

The 645 for holding and shooting much like a 35mm or the RB67 if you don't mind using a tripod.

The RB does have one thing over the 645 though, it is a bellows focus camera so you can do macro with any lens you have on it.

One thing though, the RB for $550 seem very high to me and I'm thinking that if the 645 is in good shape it is the better deal.

Very useful information. Whenever I leave the bike I carry a camera in my backpack. So I will opt for the Mamiya 645, for its size and ergonomics. I think in the future have a Mamiya RB 67 But for the moment, after clarification of all the 645 is better for me. Thanks to all.

A lot depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it. Another point Mike didn't mention in favour of the RB is the fact that it uses leaf-shutter lenses allowing you to sync flash at higher speeds and that the "RB" stands for "revolving back" meaning that you can switch from landscape to portrait orientation simply by rotating the film back, without the need to move the camera body. That said, IMO, the 645 is an easier and more versatile system with a wide range of reasonably priced accessories and lenses easily available.
Very useful information. Whenever I leave the bike I carry a camera in my backpack. So I will opt for the Mamiya 645, for its size and ergonomics. I think in the future have a Mamiya RB 67 But for the moment, after clarification of all the 645 is better for me. Thanks to all.

Depends on which Mamiya 645. The old, metal-body version is now ancient and worth less than half the 550 asking price, even with the 80mm and 150mm--the most commonly available lenses. The later Super/Pro/and ProTL bodies are preferable simply for being newer. They also have film backs that allow for mid-roll film changes with another back. The old Mamiya 645 uses inserts only, so no film changes. Still. even if it's a newer model, 550 is probably 100 bucks over--at least.

The RB67 Pro S is less portable than the Mamiya but not as awkward as many who've never shot one claim it is. Suspect it has a 90mm or 127mm lens since there's no 115mm lens for the RB series. You've left off details about this outfit but I'd say with a single lens, a WLF and a 120 back it's worth about half what the seller wants.

I have been using Mamiya 645 for some time. Yesterday I received a Mamya RB67 Pro S with four lenses, 65mm, 90mm, 127mm & 180mm along with a grip, some filters and three film backs. I have shot 1 roll of 120 B&W

The 645 1000s with 40mm on the left, and the RB67 with 65mm right.
View attachment 87396

Both cameras are a bit difficult to hand hold. Adding a grip makes either camera much more manageable.
View attachment 87397

The same grip fits both cameras.

The 645 is simpler in use. Winding the film cocks the shutter, so it is meter, focus and shoot.

The 67 has a film wind lever and a shutter cocking lever. Both have to be operated to take a photo. As the bellows is extended, the exposure has to be increased by 1/2 to 1 stop. There is a scale on the camera for reference. Lens and film back installation are more complicated. Download PDF files of the manuals and keep them on your phone or some portable reader.

The larger image means more film and processing. DIY developing is cost effective. For a small initial investment you can process B&W as well as color film.

I hope this helps,

Phil

The Super is quite ergonomic, really. Not unlike holding a DSLR. Of the two, I'd choose the 645 due to the relatively inexpensive lenses and accessories. This is mine, complete with power winder.

Mamiya 645 by longm1985, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back