Mamiya 645j film slipping in camera

rightup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's frustrating to me to take a shot or two on a new roll and then the winder doesn't cock the shutter and it's winding or slipping and the roll is ruined. Are there some tips on loading and winding? I hate to give up on this camera.

As long as your loading it correctly, and the film is tight on the spool, then this is probably (and certainly sounds like) a mechanical issue for which the old girl needs to go into the shop. Chances are good that there are worn parts to the gear train in the winding mechanism which are causing the slip. Any decent repair shop should be able to dianose it quickly and easily. Worst case scenario, a replacement body is inexpensive and easy to get.

It's frustrating to me to take a shot or two on a new roll and then the winder doesn't cock the shutter and it's winding or slipping and the roll is ruined. Are there some tips on loading and winding? I hate to give up on this camera.

Is this a new (to you) camera? Or is it a camera you've had for a while that just started misbehaving? The bolded question seems to suggest you're maybe not used to the camera, but I don't want to assume. If the camera is a recent acquisition, it might be a simple issue of not loading the film properly.

I've got a 645 Pro TL and am not sure how different your J is, but if they have the same insert, then here's the loading procedure:

Don't know if you have the manual or not: Mamiya M645J instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manuals, camera manual

Is this a new (to you) camera? Or is it a camera you've had for a while that just started misbehaving? The bolded question seems to suggest you're maybe not used to the camera, but I don't want to assume. If the camera is a recent acquisition, it might be a simple issue of not loading the film properly.

I've got a 645 Pro TL and am not sure how different your J is, but if they have the same insert, then here's the loading procedure:

Don't know if you have the manual or not: Mamiya M645J instruction manual, user manual, free PDF manuals, camera manual

Thanks so much for the replies. I've had the camera for many years, but I'm a little out of practice. The video (thanks for link) is no different than my technique. As for repair, the body flat fee repair is around 200 clams if I remember (KEH?) and I've seen bodies (supposedly good) for $100 so it's hard to decide which direction to go if indeed it's a camera flaw.

Thanks so much for the replies. I've had the camera for many years, but I'm a little out of practice. The video (thanks for link) is no different than my technique. As for repair, the body flat fee repair is around 200 clams if I remember (KEH?) and I've seen bodies (supposedly good) for $100 so it's hard to decide which direction to go if indeed it's a camera flaw.

Yup, it's hard to think about fixing it if bodies can be had for less. A quick search at KEH turns up an M645S body, depending on condition, anywhere from $90 for Bargain to $168 for Excellent+ MAMIYA M645 1000S MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA BODY - KEH Camera

I know what you mean about being rusty. I had my 645 on the shelf for almost a year because it had a shutter problem. Turned out to be a really simple fix and so I took her out to play about a month or two ago. I loaded the first roll backwards and didn't realize that I'd essentially "exposed" the backing paper until I was done (or thought I was done) with the roll. Of course, my very best shot ever was on that roll ;) But at least I didn't ruin the film so I can have another crack at the Best Shot Ever.

Last edited:

Yup, it's hard to think about fixing it if bodies can be had for less. A quick search at KEH turns up an M534S body, depending on condition, anywhere from $90 for Bargain to $168 for Excellent+ MAMIYA M645 1000S MEDIUM FORMAT CAMERA BODY - KEH Camera

I know what you mean about being rusty. I had my 645 on the shelf for almost a year because it had a shutter problem. Turned out to be a really simple fix and so I took her out to play about a month or two ago. I loaded the first roll backwards and didn't realize that I'd essentially "exposed" the backing paper until I was done (or thought I was done) with the roll. Of course, my very best shot ever was on that roll ;) But at least I didn't ruin the film so I can have another crack at the Best Shot Ever.
That is so awesome. Sorry for the Durangospeak. But really, that is so awesome!

If the multiple exposure lever (behind the film advance) is set to the "multi" position then the film won't advance when you crank it (though the shutter should set). I would try moving this lever up and down a few times and try again.

If there is no film in the camera then set it to "multi" to test shutter operation. Otherwise, when loaded, it should be rotated up to the white dot.

If the multiple exposure lever (behind the film advance) is set to the "multi" position then the film won't advance when you crank it (though the shutter should set). I would try moving this lever up and down a few times and try again.

If there is no film in the camera then set it to "multi" to test shutter operation. Otherwise, when loaded, it should be rotated up to the white dot.

Just what i was thinking

I would suggest getting another body from KEH. They have a 180 day warranty IIRC on what they sell, and M645 bodies are dirty cheap. Hell, 645 AF/AFD bodies are pretty cheap.

I would suggest getting another body from KEH. They have a 180 day warranty IIRC on what they sell, and M645 bodies are dirty cheap. Hell, 645 AF/AFD bodies are pretty cheap.
I think I'm noticing that my film gets tight after a couple of shots. And then it acts strangely and ... I will call KEH. Thanks everyone.

I think I'm noticing that my film gets tight after a couple of shots. And then it acts strangely ...

Don't worry. Getting tight after a couple of shots and then acting strangely is common with photographers.

Most reactions

Back