Mamiya RB67 owners - Tripod?

frXnz kafka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have an RB67 coming to me on Tuesday, and am fairly certain my $25 tripod isn't going to be up to the task of supporting this monster. So I'm asking you guys, what do you put between the ground and your camera? I'd really only like to spend around $150, which I know is probably in the "cheap" range for a decent tripod, but I can't afford to go crazy. As long as it will hold the camera up, and be relatively sturdy, that's all I really need for now.

I don't believe you'll find anything in the $150USD range that's really suitable. I've know people who tried to use a tripod in this class:

Tiltall | ST01 Tripod with Head (Black) | STO1B | B&H Photo Video

It will hold the camera but isn't robust enough to keep the beast steady. The RB's mirror is massive and the mirror slap is significant. The only way to use an RB on a tripod in the 6-8 pound range is to use the mirror pre-release feature. Without using the pre-release you won't get anything sharp enough to compete with my CoolPix 8400, seriously.

What you really need is something more in this class, with an appropriate head:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 028B Studio Pro Triman | 028B | B&H

I don't believe you'll find anything in the $150USD range that's really suitable. I've know people who tried to use a tripod in this class:

Tiltall | ST01 Tripod with Head (Black) | STO1B | B&H Photo Video

It will hold the camera but isn't robust enough to keep the beast steady. The RB's mirror is massive and the mirror slap is significant. The only way to use an RB on a tripod in the 6-8 pound range is to use the mirror pre-release feature. Without using the pre-release you won't get anything sharp enough to compete with my CoolPix 8400, seriously.

Not only that but do you really want to not be able to step away from your camera because it and the tripod may fall over? Doesn't sound like any kind of plan I want to deal with.

You can't afford a tripod right now? Fine. Use the camera handheld and save money until you can.

The RB67, back, and lens is not really that heavy. A good decent tripod will hold up just fine. Most of the better manufacturers lists weight capacity in their specifications. There are dozens in the 11 to 13# range available (more than you need but they don't weigh much more than the light weight 7-8# tripods).

I use my normal tripod for 35mm with my AQ-A's. Same heads and qr plates.

I would not trust a lightweight for any camera. But the medium weight tripods are just fine.

You should be able to find a good medium weight tripod for you price range.

I am particular to Manfrotto but they tend to be on the high side price wise. It's kinda like camera systems. I bought into their system of heads and QR plates. So, I stick with them.

Last edited:

Maybe that is slightly over the top. This tripod is very good if you leave your RB67 in the studio, but at 9.2lb (4.2kg) without a head, it is going to be a real a pain to carry outside. A RB67 with 127mm lens and 120 back weighs 2690g (from here). Cheaper tripods from Manfrotto such as the 055 series should be up to task of supporting the Mamiya.

If you can't afford a good tripod with a quality head, save up for one. The head is generally the short fall of cheap tripods, they can't take the weight and are the cause of most toppled cameras.

Don't waste your money on a cheap one. Ask anyone that dropped an RB, they dent the concrete n make a terrable mess of your foot. So how do you want to spend your money?...Repairs n doctor's bills or buying more fun equipemnt?

I assume the weight of the tripod is the biggest issue? I've found a few possible combinations of legs/heads that will support around 20lbs for under $200. What else do I need to look for?

Maybe that is slightly over the top. This tripod is very good if you leave your RB67 in the studio, but at 9.2lb (4.2kg) without a head, it is going to be a real a pain to carry outside. A RB67 with 127mm lens and 120 back weighs 2690g (from here). Cheaper tripods from Manfrotto such as the 055 series should be up to task of supporting the Mamiya.

Proud new RZ67 owner here and I got to say if you are concerned about weight you shouldn't get a mamiya. I went out shooting right after I got it and the thing is so heavy my arm was sore after just one roll (in all fairness I'm a little out of shape). :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Go hand held for a while or get a big bean bag- or both. I don't hear much about bean bags on these forums any more but they are great and easy to carry along. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back