Mamiya RB67 vs. RZ67

jonahr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Other than the obvious physical differences, what are the differences, advantages and disadvantages of these two cameras?

I'll do any repairs you need on any model RB, non-C n C lenses but won't even bother looking at your RZ or any of the newer K series lenses. Electronics n plastic!

Local repair guy says RZ's are such a pain in the ass to repair that he won't even touch them.

This may be a little off topic but a few weeks I shipped my RZ67 off for repair. I got a repair invoice for $290. I refused the repair, had them ship it back and purchased another RZ67 for $140. I asked the repair guy, "Don't you think it's silly for me to pay that much for a repair when I can buy one from you guys for half that price"? He just laughed.

Depends on the repair and the what sort of shape the other one is in.

The $140 one might be in need of a C.L.A. etc.
Might be better to have one that has been fully refurbished.

On the other hand, they might be in identical shape...then yes, it would be silly to pay that much to repair the broken one.
You can't always base the repair costs on the replacement costs. Maybe it would take them 10 hours 'shop time' to make the repairs, on top of any new parts. To stay in business, they might have to charge $25 per hour for their shop time.

This is why so many car accidents these days, end up as write offs. The repairs cost more than the replacement cost so the insurance company just calls it a write off and pays you the replacement cost.

Big Mike,

You make good points. I wasn't upset about what they were charging but I only paid about $90 for that body two years ago. I would buy 3 bodies (that need a CLA) and used them as disposable cameras than to sink $290 into that body. Hopefully this one don't need a CLA immediately.

This may be a little off topic but a few weeks I shipped my RZ67 off for repair. I got a repair invoice for $290. I refused the repair, had them ship it back and purchased another RZ67 for $140. I asked the repair guy, "Don't you think it's silly for me to pay that much for a repair when I can buy one from you guys for half that price"? He just laughed.

Sadly, this applies to most film cameras these days. Except for very minor
repairs, it's almost always less costly to replace rather than to repair.

That may change in the future, however, as working film cameras become
scarcer.

RZs are throwaways. But RBs are forever.

Amazing how amatures don't pay to service their equipemt. But when these cameras were used by Pros n costing thousands of dollars, they did routine CLAs on em like you change the oil on your car. These cameras need that kind of attension to keep em running perfect unlike your home owner 35mm built to be used every so often, these cameras need heavy use n care or they die. So you choose to let yours die? ummmmm, sad days ahead.

OH BTW if you do trash em, send em to me instead, I'll pay postage?

Paul NYC
[email protected]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back