Man and dog

Benjo255

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Another street in Milan. Comments always welcome.
I am in doubt which one is better.

MILANO_Street_15_12_2014_small.jpg

MILANO_Street_15_12_2014_small-2.jpg

I prefer #2

second one and here's why; It almost appears you are on his level. Portraiture, especially a voyeuristic style like street photography works best if we ( the viewer) are immersed into the scenery. I suggest getting down lower, so that we are even looking up slightly. As in the dog's height.

#2 for sure. tighter crop, lower angle. Nice shot

I'm going against the stream here and will say I like the first one better. I think it works better with the wider context.

I think it works better with the wider context.
That's what put me in this dilemma. My goal was to show the acton between man and dog, but in a context. I wanted the observer to feel like he was there and got this scene in the context. But...I really like how much #2 is clear. The more I look, the more I feel I was too far from the action.

I like the first one better. What if you crop the first one a bit but leave the two windows visible through the arch/doorway and just come in tighter on the lower left side to get closer to the main subject.
MILANO_Street_15_12_2014 sp.jpg

YES! That's exactly what I wanted to get from the shoot! Thank you sooo much!

Sometimes solution is so simple that hides from eyes.

Last edited:
I'll throw my hat in the ring. I like number 1 better. I think the environment is part of the story in this photo. But again, it also depends on what your subject is in your own mind. Is it the man and the dog, or as I see it, is it about life lived on the street in general?

I think the tighter crop that was done on number 1 made the photo. From the two you posted i like the second better..

Thank you. It's a pic about encounters you can make on street. Man and dog weren't the main them. Nor was it street life in general. The goal was "moments like this and persons like these are living on the street" that's why I liked and kept SquarePeg's crop.

To me it should be more about that moment between man and dog, no matter how bad things are they still have each other. I hope you don't mind, I put my spin on it. I tried to make it a little more focused on that interaction. But again, this is only my opinion of the scene, i really like the shot. If I didn't I would have just read the thread and moved on :icon_thumleft:

MILANO_Street_15_12_2014_small-2.jpg

Thank you! I really appreciate all the edits. Comparing is a beautiful way to learn!

Most reactions

Back