Man-handling the talent

Tkot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. Just want to ask a general question about working with talent.

I know that there is a sort of unwritten rule that as a photographer, you do not manhandle your model, but rather verbally tell them how you want them to pose. As I understand it, it's out of respect for your model's personal space and skill in his/her profession if he/she is a professional (obviously if you were a professional in any field you wouldn't take kindly to a non-professional grabbing you and doing your job for you).

But I just saw a professional looking photographer working with what looked to be three seniors (two women and one man) at my college. I'm assuming they were friends who wanted portraits together around graduation time, or perhaps were being featured in the school's magazine... who knows. But the photographer was actually grabbing the talent and positioning them--a few times I saw him actually grab the talent's hair and flip it to her other shoulder, or grab her shirt and straighten out the wrinkles, or pull their shoulders back.... It made me uncomfortable to watch it!

So I'm just curious how you all actually view this rule and how it has played into your careers/hobbies. Do you think what this guy was doing was unethical/unprofessional? Discuss.

Without knowing the circumstances, it's rather pointless to speculate; if I'm doing a shoot with my own family or close friends, I'd likely not have any qualms about adjusting whatever I though necessary (within the limits of decency that is), but in general, I always avoid touching clients/models, preferring to ask them to straighten/tuck/whatever. On those occasions when I feel it is necessary, I ALWAYS say, "Do you mind if I just straighten this sleeve/whatever?" and do it carefully and deliberately.

Without knowing the circumstances, it's rather pointless to speculate; if I'm doing a shoot with my own family or close friends, I'd likely not have any qualms about adjusting whatever I though necessary (within the limits of decency that is), but in general, I always avoid touching clients/models, preferring to ask them to straighten/tuck/whatever. On those occasions when I feel it is necessary, I ALWAYS say, "Do you mind if I just straighten this sleeve/whatever?" and do it carefully and deliberately.

This sort of proves my rule about the first responder. Or at least illustrates it. I think this first response nails it- answers the question beautifully. However, now we'll have 12 pages of post because the op said man-handling... I expect someone who's name starts with an R will be along any minute now...

:lol:

This sort of proves my rule about the first responder. Or at least illustrates it. I think this first response nails it- answers the question beautifully. However, now we'll have 12 pages of post because the op said man-handling... I expect someone who's name starts with an R will be along any minute now...

:lol:

I think Rotanimod is still on vacation.

as a general rule and respect I don't touch mine, especially doing boudior or nudes. However...there have been times I want to just grab them and move them. lol.

I did it with a guy once...he just was not getting it so I said "no homo" and grabbed his face and positioned it how I wanted. and he was like "ahh...I get it now" lol. I knew him...so it was a non issue...would not have done that with a stranger.

However a few times I have touched to position. boils down to professionalism. How you talk and communicate with your clients.

One other thing, it affords you the opportunity and practice to accurately convey your desires verbally...makes you a better communicator. I give my clients a quick five minute instruction lecture on my words and hand signals. They all have appreciated such things...and it is part of the "getting to know each other" and relaxing phase.

There are tricks you can learn along the way. use points on body. if you say "turn this way" they will 99% of the time turn the wrong parts. if you say turn your belly button this way...they'll move their hips...cause no one can move their belly button. lol. same thing with eyes and face. say "look this way" either they'll shoot their eyes over or whole face...effectively messing up the pose you had them in.

for me, part of my instructions in the intro is that they follow my finger with their eyes only...mimic my hand with their head. I never say "look this way" or "turn this way" just don't work.

proper words in conjunction with hand signals usually work. But there are times you may need to touch. and back to the intro...you can tell if a person is a "don't touch me" type or ok. as long as you are professional its fine.

one other tip. watch for whores. seriously. women love cameras...and being slutty. not as a whole...but they are out there. I needed a woman to get her undies out of her crack and politely I said so, in different words...and this was after I moved her arms/head hwo I wanted, she was lying down in only undies....so we broke the touch barrier and seemingly comfort levels were ok. then when I asked her to break pose to fix her attire...she said "well...you can move that too if you like...I don't mind...I'll bet your hands feel good on me down there" and gave me a look.

That made me uncomfy. I joke a lot and have fun, but in the studio I am all business and professional. I'll be damned if some slut is going to ruin my reputation I worked hard for. So I told her friend to do it for me. I make women bring a man along, preferably their man, or I have a female assistant with me if they come alone.

so anyway...got on a rant...but it's a hot topic these days...

be polite, professional...and communicate. I believe sometimes you do have to touch as they just don't get it. If you communicate effectively...it's a non issue.

Pally you just have that effect on the ladies.

Echo Pallycow's post. Some people are just better at verbal communication than others. The ones that aren't have to manhandle the talent.

Would it be frowned upon to just have the model "breathe into this rag", and photoshop some open eyes into the pic later?

for me it depends on who im working with. I verbally instruct anyone I work with. those that I work with that im friends with i'll move hair or adjust a shirt. I have had them tell me just move me how you want me. which for me means that I still need to work on my communication because reality is. I don't want to have to walk back and forth trying to adjust someone all the time. but if there are some stray hairs it may be quicker for me to move them then to pull someone out of a pose. but I never touch anyone without asking first, too many stories about shady photographers to screw up and put myself in that category.

Most reactions

Back