Man-handling the talent

I touch my subjects sometimes, but then, I've only shot friends. ;) As far as hair goes, the person posing can't move their hair without changing their pose. Sometimes getting back into the pose messes their hair up again. I had that problem shooting my teenage cousin last week. I just walked up and fixed it for her. She didn't mind and was glad it didn't look dumb in the photo. Of course, I don't just run up and grab someone. I ask first. Usually it's along the lines of, "I can get your hair where it needs to be, if that's ok" or "do you want me to show you?" I've also been known to strike the pose, then have the person do it. I'm not good at describing, but I can model it. ;)

Holy crap, I guess I did touch on a hot topic. Thanks for all the responses everyone. I had always heard on Adorama TV videos and whatnot that the general rule of thumb was not to touch your model, so when I saw this guy it just made me wonder. Thanks for clearing it up for me folks.

This sort of proves my rule about the first responder. Or at least illustrates it. I think this first response nails it- answers the question beautifully. However, now we'll have 12 pages of post because the op said man-handling... I expect someone who's name starts with an R will be along any minute now...

:lol:

I think Rotanimod is still on vacation.

I'm always watching.. Waiting for the moment..

as a general rule and respect I don't touch mine,

I did it with a guy once...he just was not getting it so I said "no homo" and grabbed his face a

However a few times I have touched to position. boils down to professionalism. How you talk and communicate with your clients.

one other tip. watch for whores. seriously. women love cameras...and being slutty. not as a whole...but they are out there. I needed a woman to

I joke a lot and have fun, but in the studio I am all business and professional. I'll be damned if some slut is going to ruin my reputation I worked hard for. So I told her friend to do it for me. I make women bring a man along, preferably their man, or I have a female assistant with me if they come alone.

You might consider that this kind of word usage is disrespectful and offensive - and to an unknowing person would make you seem unprofessional.

I did it with a guy once...he just was not getting it so I said "no homo" and grabbed his face a

However a few times I have touched to position. boils down to professionalism. How you talk and communicate with your clients.

one other tip. watch for whores. seriously. women love cameras...and being slutty. not as a whole...but they are out there. I needed a woman to

I joke a lot and have fun, but in the studio I am all business and professional. I'll be damned if some slut is going to ruin my reputation I worked hard for. So I told her friend to do it for me. I make women bring a man along, preferably their man, or I have a female assistant with me if they come alone.

You might consider that this kind of word usage is disrespectful and offensive - and to an unknowing person would make you seem unprofessional.

If you knew the area and his customer based you would change your mind about his assumptions. Lets put it this way, I'd bleach the backdrop after every session.

If you knew the area and his customer based you would change your mind about his assumptions. Lets put it this way, I'd bleach the backdrop after every session.

You may think this is amusing, I think it is a not so well disguised bigotry.
I lived in San Francisco during the crest of teh HIV epidemic and later spent 5 years as the CIO of a medical foundation that researched treatment for HIV and came into daily contact with the kinds of people that you seem to be alluding to.
If I had to find a groups of friends who were pleasant, charming, intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate, it is clear that I would have better luck in that group than among the kind of people whose attitudes you represent.

I do not see a problem with 'touching' your models/subjects. They are paying you to make them look good in a photo. If you need to make minor adjustments to their hair or garments I don't see that anyone would have an issue with that. Of course asking permission before adjusting is common courtesy.

If I had to find a groups of friends who were pleasant, charming, intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate, it is clear that I would have better luck in that group than among the kind of people whose attitudes you represent.

Well I guess I am none of those thing and a bigot to boot. Thanks for clearing that up.

Moving from San Francisco to Norfolk, VA has shown me that there are.. um.. different community norms for addressing the issue of homosexuality. "no homo" is clearly unacceptable in general usage, and I assume Pallycow knows that as well as anyone.

Amongst friends? Well, it's a bit crass and might bespeak a somewhat underexamined world view, but we've all got issues, eh? I'm pretty crass amongst friends.

Just to clear things up I was referring to the women of ill repute, not gays.

You are insulting a group of people in a public venue.
Totally wrong and inappropriate.
Bad for the site and an unfavorable insight into how you think.

You are insulting a group of people in a public venue.
Totally wrong and inappropriate.
Bad for the site and an unfavorable insight into how you think.

Are you still thinking I am talking about gays?

Traveler

I don't care to tip toe and watch my verbiage on a photo site. I dont speak that way in person to them or people in public.

This is not the first time in over the year or so I've been here that you commented on my choice wording on here. Just as we have to accept others have different views on photography...others have different views on life...words...humor...etc.

My comments were mostly in jest for amusement...because I have a twisted sense of humor. I am not here representing myself as a buisiness entity capturing clients. So I will not guard my words if I don't see the need.

I really respect your opinion as a photographer and a teacher. Honest and truly. Your critiques are awesome and your eye is sharp and I love how you see things in dealing with photography. I do not really care much for your opinion on life matters and especially PC ' ness.

I hope this doesn't make you hate me as I look forward to your critique on my work when I post it. I just hope we can agree that our styles and tastes are different...you may in fact be a better man than me. But honestly..I'm quite ok with that.

Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back