Management contract that is fair to BOTH the model and me ?

Steve500

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First, a short bio to give context on my query: Age mid-sixties / first camera SLR 1970 / photo courses taken / have shot film + digital / 35mm + 6x7 + 4x5 / traditional darkroom printer / years shooting models + other assignments.

Up to now I have given models a previously agreed set of TFP images, and they went on their merry ways to future photo shoots or interviews at agencies.

But lately, with DSLRs smarter than oodles of incompetent "pro photog" owners in my metro area (producing dreck and passing it on to naïve newbies) I want to take the next logical step by representing some of those women who have spent little or no time in front of a camera.

SO: CAN ANYONE POINT ME TO A CONTRACT (OR TEMPLATE) NOT EXPLOITIVE OF THE MODEL, AND ONE WHICH GIVES US NEGOTIATING STRENGTH TO GET AN AGENCY'S BEST OFFER FOR HER AND ME ?

Thank you, vintagesnaps, for the reply. I will pursue those excellent leads. The last time I looked at PDN, it was full of contributions by photogs who were clearly very competent.

I'm not quite clear on what you want this document to do. I've never heard of any sort of agreement or situation where the model and photographer work as a joint venture. Do you mean that you will be representing the model(s) to the agency?

I'm with John as far as not quite understanding why you want a management contract to be "representing some of those women who have spent little or no time in front of a camera".
Why assume a legal burden that should be the responsibility of the model?
You could wind up being sued by both the model and an agency.

IMO, what you need is the advice of a qualified attorney.
Your profile, nor your post #1, show any location information.
Wherever "my metro area" is determines what model release and contract laws would be applicable. So any model release/contract or template someone pointed you too would still require an qualified attorney's review to ensure the legal basis of your documents has a a minimum of legal faux pax.

O.P. here . . . Hello tirediron and Keith:

For brevity, and being a first-time poster who --- like many of members here, already has too much to do in other areas of life on this wacky planet, I omitted additional background which probably covers your questions and points.

I will see what info is in the resources listed by vintagesnaps above, but for now I'm signing off. Best of luck with your own photo doings.

Me: Age early-sixties / first camera SLR 1971 / photo courses taken / have shot film + digital / 35mm + 6x7 + 8x10 / traditional darkroom printer / years shooting models + other assignments.

The old model is gone. Those talents and experience no longer have the buying power they once did even if the knowledge and ability is there. Commercial photography is not what it used to be. With the dearth of photographers, the acceptance of lower quality of work by the general public and the desire to control costs businesses across the field.

If you want to get into the agency business and feel you can make a success of it then give it a go. I would not try to be the Cosco, one stop shop model shop however. As Keith pointed out the legal ramifications could be quite costly.

I want to take the next logical step by representing some of those women who have spent little or no time in front of a camera.
Representing how, exactly?

Are you an agent, or an attorney? You listed your photographic experience, which means little in this scenario.

I take it you want only ingenues, but why is that?

FWIW: I consider the only fair contract to be a "win-win" type wherein each party gains something, and doesn't feel cheated.

But now I see you've decided to "sign off", so if you come back, perhaps you can tell us more.

BTW: have you thought about engaging the services of an attorney? I'm sure you can get what you want.

Most reactions

Back