Manfrotto Ball Heads: 498RC2 vs 054Q2/5

I was shopping for a tripod w/ ballhead a few months back and I went with the hydrostatic one. It's actually slightly lighter than other ballheads (although it's huge) and it has 2 knobs, 1 for quick control and one for fine-tuning the pressure. I love it and I don't see a point of getting anything else. The only downside is you dont get a level with it like you do with your 054's but I use electronic level and my tripod has a level built-in. I especially love the quick release system. It's better that anything I've seen.

So to your question "What would YOU do?"

Well, I already made my choice haven't I ;)

Perfect! That's what I'm looking for here... First-hand opinion on these type of heads.
It's kinda weird they don't include a couple of spirit levels in these heads... But the 055 legs come with one, so not that big a deal...

Thank you very much once again!

Once you get it and use it for a little while please update this thread with your thoughts. I love mine, but I am really interested to see what other people who have used it think. Normally I don't see anyone using hydrostatic ball heads and I wonder why..

Once you get it and use it for a little while please update this thread with your thoughts. I love mine, but I am really interested to see what other people who have used it think. Normally I don't see anyone using hydrostatic ball heads and I wonder why..

I'll have to wait until October-November when the store gets the new shipment with all these heads, and only there I'll go a decide which one I like better. The decisions seems to be between the 054 and the hydrostatic 468. Anyway, hope to remember to update the thread then! ;)

Have a nice day!

I was shopping for a tripod w/ ballhead a few months back and I went with the hydrostatic one. It's actually slightly lighter than other ballheads (although it's huge) and it has 2 knobs, 1 for quick control and one for fine-tuning the pressure. I love it and I don't see a point of getting anything else. The only downside is you dont get a level with it like you do with your 054's but I use electronic level and my tripod has a level built-in. I especially love the quick release system. It's better that anything I've seen.

Perfect! That's what I'm looking for here... First-hand opinion on these type of heads.
It's kinda weird they don't include a couple of spirit levels in these heads... But the 055 legs come with one, so not that big a deal...

Perhaps because no one makes a "Hydroststic" ball head except Manfrotto.

@sovietdoc: Well... I did remember to update the thread, but I finally went with a Manfrotto 055 instead of the hydrostatic. I like it better than I ever dreamed of, so I can say I'm a happy owner. Finally, the tripod is complete. Now it's time to get this baby out in the field and see what it can do :)

Thank you all very much for the answers here, and have a nice day!

Most reactions

Back