Manfrotto horizontal pistol-grip ball-head (322RC2)

rob1116

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello hello,

I finally plunked down some big (for me) cash on a proper tripod. I bought the Manfrotto A055PRO legs, and the 322RC2 horizontal joystick-type ball-head. This head can also be mounted vertically.

These Legs

and this head

The legs are fantastic, that's for sure. Way more than enough height to let me stand upright, not to heavy, angle settings and removable centerpost allows for ultra low shooting, and the center column can be mounted horizontally to stretch out over subjects... very happy.

But I can't make up my mind about the grip-head. I thought for sure this was what I wanted, but now I don't know... something doesn't feel right. I think maybe I might miss a dedicated pan adjustment... with the freedom of this grip comes sacrifices I suppose; but don't the Manfrotto standard ball heads have independant pan functions? The whole ball/fitting spins around the center column right?

I know I don't want the slow-action precision of a geared or standard 3-way... too many seperate levers.

Bah! Basically, I'd like to hear what the pistol-grippers out there think about thier choice. I have a couple of weeks in which I can exchange this head, so please help me finally make my choice! I don't want to be stuck with a $200(CND) head that I don't like.

I don't particularly like that head. It's real hard to adjust precisely. The tolerances are not there, I suppose.

I exchanged it for 3047 pan/tilt. Now I'm happy with my current setup.

If I feel like I really need a ballhead, I'd get RRS or ARCA Swiss. Worth the money, while manfrotto... is a grade lower in quality.

Hope that helps

thx Doc, I'll go into the LPS and have a look at that one.

I don't like the idea of having 3 seperate locks, but I DO want a seperate, precise pan.

Also, I think this grip-head would be dramatically improved with the addition of a handle locking mechanism to lock the ball in the released position. When shooting my aquarium, I need one hand on the shutter and one hand on the lens... this head makes shooting whilst moving and focusing impossible.

But I guess with a pan/tilt I can just loosen both those handles and be able to keep my hands off the tripod.

Dammit, I thought I had finally made my choice! I suppose I'm asking for the best of three worlds here...

rob1116 said:
Also, I think this grip-head would be dramatically improved with the addition of a handle locking mechanism to lock the ball in the released position. When shooting my aquarium, I need one hand on the shutter and one hand on the lens... this head makes shooting whilst moving and focusing impossible.
You need the "usual ballhead" for that, not the grip one. That way you'll be able to adjust tension...

I use RRS ballhead only once. Fell in love with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back