Manfrotto Tripod!?

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm on the hunt for a Tripod and with a budget of 200 (although willing to go up to 250). I've narrowed it down to two choices:

-055xb (Manfrotto 055XB Tripod Legs (Black) - Supports 15.4 lbs 055XB )
or
-055xprob (Manfrotto 055XPROB Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black) 055XPROB B&H )

?

The difference is about 30 dollars (mind you, I'm at 244 with the cheaper xb + head -- so I'd be 70 over budget with xprob)

Does anyone have any experience with either? From my research, seems only difference between the two is the XB's center pole doesn't extend outward only up and down. I'm wondering if 30 dollars is worth it for a feature that I'd probably never use, I don't do macro.

The head I'm pairing with is: 498RC2 (Manfrotto 498RC2 Midi Ball Head with 200PL-14 QR Plate 498RC2 )

I have both the 055xprob and 498rc2. I love the tripod. Very solid and easy to adjust. I don't use horizontal column feature much but when I do I'm vary happy I have it. It is a very heavy and large tripod. It will not strap to my Lowepro Flipside 200 it might fit onto one of larger bags. I have been less happy with the head. It is well built and very solid. I just wish it was smoother. I have never been able to find compromise with the tensioner. It is either too loose and the camera will flop over if I let go of it or it, or it is very jerky as I try to adjust the position. The other thing about the head is that when you lock it down there is a slight shift in position. Normally it's not an issue, but shooting close ups it can be a pita. To be honest I'm probably going to buy a replacement for the 498.

Here is a camera phone shot of the horizonal column at work. It was a tight squeeze in that shop.

I, too, own the 055XPROB with the 498RC2 head. I think it's a great combination.

The tripod is solidly built, with metal construction and thick legs. I have used it up against huge rocks, in rivers (that don't run too fast), on slippery stones and in soft sand. It stands firm most of the time. Be aware that the longest focal length I own is 50mm, and so slight movements aren't an issue for me - I usually use my 12-24mm anyway. The head also plays a part here, obviously. A good head is of the upmost importance, and as kassad describes, locking the position might hard for closeups or when framing is very important. I've used a gripped 40D with the tokina 12-24mm/4 lens, and it holds the camera tightly in place in all directions, pointing either up or down. I'd imagine fast telezooms weigh more, and a better head might be convenient.

The centre column....you may not think you need it, but I use it ALL the time - and I don't do any closeups. The tripod advocates to go as low as 10 cm or something, but to achieve this that column must be angled - or else it touches the ground when angling out the legs. I love this feature, even if it's a bit tedious to take it up and down depending on what I'm shooting. Here are some examples.

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_3261.jpg

Lowest possible: big lens would touch the ground!
IMG_5410.jpg

kassad;2464630 Here is a camera phone shot of the horizonal column at work. It was a tight squeeze in that shop. [URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/groverofthenorth/6721493557/" said:

A case for a protective filter if I ever saw one.

Ordered:
055xprob
498rc2
BlackRapid adapter

^That's nice Ron, wish BR did the same thing. It was the main reason I went with Manfrotto too, b/c BR doesn't make an adapter for any other tripod mount.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back