Manhole Cover HDR

Womec

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not too over the top, but I think it added some nice texture.

Iron_Squares_by_Bawwomick.jpg

Bawwomick's Gallery

hdr was needed?

Added more detail to the shadows.

Could you post the the properly exposed original (non HDR) image as well?

This really didn't need HDR processing. Curves and saturation, would have yielded similar results.

Also, I think a shallower DOF would have made it a bit more interesting. Exif shows F10. I would have shot at like f4 or 3.5

Still, the image does nothing for me, composition-ally.

This really didn't need HDR processing. Curves and saturation, would have yielded similar results.

Also, I think a shallower DOF would have made it a bit more interesting. Exif shows F10. I would have shot at like f4 or 3.5

Still, the image does nothing for me, composition-ally.

+1

Your HDR gave it a more rusty look.

hdr is all fine and dandy when used properly but i would like to make a quote from a magazine i once read "HDR - Hide disappointing result"

The HDR version is far better than the flat looking original in my opinion. Much more punch and color. As for a shallower DOF, -- WHAT!!! There are out of focus areas as is. If anything, the f10 should have been f21.
Im beginning to think the HDR forum should be split in two. One for those who dont like HDR, dont use HDR and never will use HDR. The other will be for people who like it and use it.

Entity, how was HDR not used correctly there?

Womec
Next time do not tell them you did HDR, and they will not know. It will elminate the HDR complaints. ;)

The only issue I have is the scrap wire and other construction debris, it is a little distracting.

The HDR version is far better than the flat looking original in my opinion. Much more punch and color. As for a shallower DOF, -- WHAT!!! There are out of focus areas as is. If anything, the f10 should have been f21.
Im beginning to think the HDR forum should be split in two. One for those who dont like HDR, dont use HDR and never will use HDR. The other will be for people who like it and use it.

Entity, how was HDR not used correctly there?

Er, I think what you really need is one for people who do HDR for seemingly no actual reason, and one for those who understand the applications of the technology and use it to yield a particular end result for a particular reason.

No offens to OP, but in this case (as someone else stated) a simple application of curves (or heck, even a bit of contrast and saturation work) would have yielded an almost identical result. In fact, let's have a go...

Here is their HDR...

Iron_Squares_by_Bawwomick.jpg

And here is my processing of their original with about 10 seconds worth of work. +100 on contrast, plus a bit of sharpening.

25t9fcy%20new.jpg

Damned close if you ask me, and I could get it even closer if it mattered.

The point here is people create HDRs frequently as some sort of solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist. People need to learn more about how to adjust their images appropriately to get the effect they were looking for, and apply the HDR methods when they are looking for a greater dynamic range than their camera can offer.

Again, no offense to OP.

This is a good example of a properly done HDR image IMO, not too harsh, just enough to get the detail in the shadows. Though I would like to see an example of the original edited with proper curves adjustments, just for comparison's sake.

EDIT: Ahahaha Anaheim read my mind. Excellent example of why HDR isn't necessary in a lot of occasions where it is used just for the sake of using it.

Why does it matter to anyone else but the OP which route was taken to get the final pic? Saying you can do the same thing some other way is fine. But thats not the way the OP chose to do it. Sometimes its just a nice exercise to play with the software to see what happens. Im glad to see manaheim that you did more than just run your mouth off. Your example is just as good as the original HDR. But if he did it your way then it wouldnt be posted here but in some other forum. This is HDR so thats the way it is.

Most reactions

Back