Manual exposure question

This is what I do for action tele: I use (A)perture priority, Auto ISO with the minimum shutter speed set to 1/1000. I'm using a 70-300 which is only SO-SO at 300 so I set my Aperture to at least f/8. This way my shutter speed is always at least 1/1000 unless the ISO maxes out, and it is pretty tough for the camera to over or under expose. This is my (U)ser 1 setup in my D750 and D7000.

I think that is exactly what I didn't know I was looking for! Thanks! I did not know that was an option or thought to look. I think it would suite me perfectly.
Essentially that like what I would do
but in Manual Exposure
Set aperture to f/8
set Shutter to 1/1000
and set ISO to AUTO ISO
- a great Sport setup. I use f/8 for my Tamron 150-600 lens because f/8 is a sharp aperture for it.

by using Minimal Shutter in Aperture Priority one essentially is using manual in a way. Except allows the camera to adjust shutter higher if needed. But by fixing shutter to a speed that you know is needed for the environment then you are only allowing the floating ISO to control exposure, which eliminates one more fudge factor by the camera.

For me I don't want a higher Shutter as that would then invoke a higher ISO. So by fixing Shutter to as low as possible for the situation I should get the lower ISO and thus lower ISO noise for the best image.

but essentially the same way to get to the same conclusion.
That is what I use to do but from time to time using (M)anual I would overexpose from paying too close attention to the subject and not enough to the exposure meter. Now if there is too much light for 1/1000, ISO 100, and f/8 the shutter speed bumps up to bring things back to proper exposure.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back