Manual exposure with the D7000?

Restomage

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been doing a lot of video lately with my D7000 for one of the companies I work for. I'm trying to figure out however how to manually adjust the exposure for my video. Even in manual mode the camera still wants to to auto-expose. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I've been doing a lot of video lately with my D7000 for one of the companies I work for. I'm trying to figure out however how to manually adjust the exposure for my video. Even in manual mode the camera still wants to to auto-expose. Any thoughts? Thanks!

It doesn't automatically expose in manual mode. Or I should say it shouldn't. Are you sure it's on M?
Not a question to insult your intelligence, but a serious question.

What is it doing exactly?

It doesn't automatically expose in manual mode. Or I should say it shouldn't. Are you sure it's on M?

Yeah it's definitely in Manual. It will allow me to adjust shutter, aperture, iso, etc however the exposure itself while filming doesn't change or stay consistent at the settings I've chosen for it. The camera will automatically make the scene brighter or darker depending on the amount of ambient light when I feel like I should be the one in complete control.

Yeah it's definitely in Manual. It will allow me to adjust shutter, aperture, iso, etc however the exposure itself while filming doesn't change or stay consistent at the settings I've chosen for it. The camera will automatically make the scene brighter or darker depending on the amount of ambient light when I feel like I should be the one in complete control.

Ohhhh. Yeah, you can't change the aperture in live view. What ever the aperture is set at when you hit the live view lever, is what it will remain at the entire time live view is on.
Nature of the Nikon beast.

Ohhhh. Yeah, you can't change the aperture in live view. What ever the aperture is set at when you hit the live view lever, is what it will remain at the entire time live view is on.

I knew that much about the camera, but it still doesn't solve my issue. Even when I'm filming in live view I can see the camera changing exposures in front of me in real time to adjust to the amount of ambient light. For example, if I were to film a tree outside in the sun and someone was to walk in front of my camera the camera will automatically adjust the exposure to compensate for the difference of light. This is exactly what I don't want.

I knew that much about the camera, but it still doesn't solve my issue. Even when I'm filming in live view I can see the camera changing exposures in front of me in real time to adjust to the amount of ambient light. For example, if I were to film a tree outside in the sun and someone was to walk in front of my camera the camera will automatically adjust the exposure to compensate for the difference of light. This is exactly what I don't want.

Then the camera is broken. Manual is manual. If it's acting like it's in auto mode, or shutter priority while it's in manual, then you have a software problem. Can you take a video of it in action with your cell phone?

Most reactions

Back